1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Spot Beams for Great Falls, Billings, & Bismarck Local Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bsomppi, Sep 24, 2013.

1. bsomppi

bsomppi New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Scobey Montana
    First time posting, I've been looking for spot beam maps for Great Falls, Billings, & Bismarck local channels. I've looked over and over again and I can't find them. What am I missing?

Thanks!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    First, understand that the mapping data of satellite footprints published on this forum come from public filings DIRECTV makes with the FCC, and unfortunately they are incomplete in one major area. We do not have access to the full spotbeam maps for satellites DIRECTV-10 and 11, other than a few representative samples. When D10 and 11 were originally filed, the FCC database was not large enough at the time to load the data for all the spotbeams of those satellites. So the FCC settled for the mapping data of just the CONUS and a few representative spotbeams of each bird.

By the time data for DIRECTV-12 was filed the FCC had improved their database capacity which allowed DIRECTV to post the complete mapping for all it's spotbeams, So all we can do is use D12 as a base and assume its spotbeams beams are approximately mirror images of D10 and at the same location on earth and also D11's as well, but moved about 200 to the NE of D12's since all these satellites carry the same Ka B-Band sportbeam payloads.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/184044-interactive-beam-footprint-library/?p=2710714

Therefore the Billings, MT. locals appear to be on the Caper. WY. spotbeam A3B8 of either D10 or D12.

Great Falls, MT. locals are on a spotbeam from D11 which should look similar to D12's spotbeam for Pocatello, ID. A1BA about 200 mi. to the SW.

And Bismark, ND. locals (Of the Minot, Bismark, Dickinson market) are also on a spotbeam from D11 which should look similar D12's spotbeam for Rapid City, SD. A4B8. Again about 200 mi to the SW.

Hope this helps.