1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spring Ahead

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    With so many atomic self-setting clocks in my home now, tomorrow wont have a confusing morning of trying to figure out what time it is.

But strange things do happen, one of the clocks jumped ahead an hour two days ago, but went back to the correct time last night.

I will double check that one tomorrow.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Will be interesting to see if my ps3 changes. It's supposed to be a new feature.

And a state rep introduced a bill to get rid of DST in the state. I certainly don't want to get political, but I hope it doesn't make it out of committee. Would make things too complicated.

3. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Arizona, is the only state now that doesn't have DST.

4. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Don't forget Hawaii.

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Hawaii doesn't either.

6. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    2 states wich understand DST is a stupid idea.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Actually, in my opinion, its Standard Time that is stupid. Just stay on DST. I could care less if its dark in the morning, as long as its light after I get off work.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's not as bad for Hawaii, they are pretty separated from everyone else time wise. It would complicate matters to have all 5 surrounding states on a different time part of the year. Of course when Indiana did it, it was even more complicated. Part of the state was in DST, the other wasn't.

I'm sure people that work in Kentucky wouldn't like having to leave an hour earlier part of the year just to compensate for the difference.

It's not about a perceived energy savings for me, it would just be a pain to deal with, especially living in a border area.

9. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Most of you are too young to remember, but in WWII, we had permanent DST -- it was called "War Time".

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We are still recovering from that ... I still have to remind out of state people that Indiana DOES change its clocks and most of the state is on "New York" time (one hour ahead of Chicago) year round.

There were people pushing at the time for the whole state to go Central Time ... but when left up to the individual counties to decide most were happy to stay Eastern Time and simply add Daylight Saving Time. Eight counties were moved to CT on April 2nd, 2006, with one moving under duress. (Pulaski County petitioned for CT expecting all adjoining counties to move as well. Their petition was initially denied but was granted in the final ruling. When announced, civic leaders suggested ignoring the time zone change but were forced to follow CT until they were officially moved back to ET on March 11th, 2007 - Spring forward two hours.)

On November 4th, 2007, five other counties that had moved to CT in 2006 moved back. At the end of the shuffle only two counties moved ... and one of them had only left CT in 1991 (on their third attempt to leave CT for ET).

It didn't have to be as complicated as it was ... the national change of the start and end of DST in 2007 didn't help with the confusion (so in 2006 we have DST April-Oct and in 2007 we have DST Mar-Nov???). I believe most people have settled in with the change but twice a year we have an excuse for people to get upset about it again.

For my work schedule (8-5) the time it is daylight works out fine in the winter - I would not like DST year round (cold morning commutes on roads where the dew is still frozen). Nor would I like CT with the sun down before I leave work, but CT would be better than DST year round.

I could compromise and accept CT with DST year round. :D

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Why don't we just turn all clocks back 24 hours and add an extra day to weekends!

12. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I agree 100%. I love having the extra time after work to get things done around the place. Keep it all year 'round!

13. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I'm OK with that as well. What am I really against is the whole clock changing. Just choose one and keep it there..

14. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Im also good with it

15. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    In 2007, the publishers of the Farmers Almanac proposed the following:

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm good with it too but I get jet lag the first few days.

17. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    1 hour of jet lag - piffle - I never notice it. 5 hours - that's a little different matter....

18. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    All my atomic self setting clocks updated last night. Well all except one - my bedroom - naturally. So I'm late doing everything. Wasn't aware I was running late until I turned on my kitchen TV and saw a hockey game in progress.

19. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    None of mine updated correctly! Had to go and manually set them all.

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I only have one atomic clock and it worked perfectly. The rest of the manual clocks had to be reset as usual (with the extra annoyance of a brief power failure Sunday morning making several of my freshly reset clocks lose their time).

The PCs and devices all adjusted as expected. I will have to change the time on one piece of equipment at work in the morning but time changes are not bad.