1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!
  1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Anybody know about how far Sprint's LTE signal will reach? Also, I know when they're finished, they're going to have LTE on 3 different frequencies. Does anybody know which of those their Galaxy S4 supports?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using DBSTalk mobile app

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Have you looked at their maps yet for your area? They have decent maps showing coverage and then what they plan to add for coverage.

3. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
  4. Juanus

Juanus Legend

Jun 4, 2007
  5. mikefour77

mikefour77 Mentor

Jan 24, 2011
    You can also try looking at Sensorly.com. They have coverage maps based on actual usage by people with the sensorly app installed on their phones. This can be useful to see the 'real world' signal area.

For what it's worth, I have an S4 (non-tri band version) and the LTE coverage in Boston has been pretty good. Much better coverage than the WiMax flavor of 4g.

6. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    LTE will be useable at a little less distance than the voice as it's a much more complex signal. The old Clearwire frequencies are more suited for metropolitan areas as those higher frequency signals aren't useable as far from the towers. Their 800MHz spectrum for both voice and LTE from the old Nextel will be useable at longer distances but there is much less bandwidth available than Sprints higher frequency spectrum.

As suggested see S4GRU for details maps and discussion. Sponsorship is highly recommended.

If you're in a fringe data area then try a Nexus 5 from the Google Play Store. They're radios are very good and more sensitive than many others including the S4. Plus it can always be used on T-Mobile or AT&T with a simple SIM card swap (Sprint requires an LTE SIM and also CDMA registration)(sorry, doesn't support Verizon). Buy it from the Google Play Store for $349 and you're not committed to a contract.

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Time will tell how good Sprint's LTE network ends up being.

While all other US carriers use LTE-FDD, Sprint will roll out LTE-FDD on certain bands and LTE-TDD on the 2.5 ghz band. AFAIK they will be the only one using TDD.

So the new phones will need to do all the bands and have both types of LTE available.
    More details here

http://newsroom.sprint.com/presskits/sprint-spark.htm

One thing we will have to wait to find out is how pervasive the 2.5ghz band roll out is.

Since cell phones were available, the 850 band was best for range and building penetration and 1900 wasn't as good. 2.5 won't improve this, it will take an awful lot of site for that band to provide a lot of coverage.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I wonder how they are planning to combine the 2.5 GHz LTE with current Clearwire 2.5 GHz WiMax users?

9. Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter Hall Of Fame

Feb 20, 2009
    Nice to see the s4gru plug here.... Can't agree more. Any info you want about sprints network, that site is the best bet!

Sent from my EVO using DBSTalk mobile app