1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ST Mix Alert-Blackouts Loom

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sdk009, Sep 15, 2010.

1. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    We're only in the second week of the season and there are three potential blackouts on Sunday:

Baltimore @ Cincinnati
    Jacksonville @ San Diego
    St. Louis @ Oakland

Not only is the NFL's blackout rule archaic and should be done away with, but it also greatly diminishes the value of the ST Mix Channel.

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    No, it doesn't. The NFL blackout rule is only in the market of the home team when the team has not sold out 72 hours in advance.

Out of market is not involved.

3. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Blacked out games are not shown on the gamemix channel no matter where you are.

4. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    For the record...every Jacksonville game should be a blackout. Just cover the entire stadium with one giant tarp.

5. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    When I lived in Michigan my broadcaster (Lansing) was within 75 miles of Detroit so the blackouts applied to them and they would air alternate games.

My Zip Code I lived in was more than 80 miles from Ford Field. My local broadcaster was blacked out but would I have been blacked out on Sunday Ticket?

Just curious, because it seems you could be 120 miles from your team and still be blacked out even with Sunday Ticket because your local broadcast is in the blackout zone.

6. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    This week isn't a home game though. Hard to believe that San Diego won't sell out.

7. bobinyuma

bobinyuma AllStar

Aug 29, 2006
    Love the Bolts, but ticket prices, the economy, and the fact that SD has a lot better things to do on a Sunday than most US cities.

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The Baltimore/Cincy game surprises me. That's a big division game. I know a lot of Ohio has been hit hard with the recession, but that still is surprising.

9. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    But then the games wouldn't be blacked out. "Okay, TV networks, we sold our zero seats 72 hours in advance! Again!"

Might sound a little odd on TV with no crowd noise, though.

10. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    It would sound just like a Jaguars game. They should move that team to a city with fans. :D

11. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    Assuming the NFL rule won't change anytime soon,

How can they (DirecTV) solve the blackout on mix problem without violating NFL rules? I suppose DirecTV could black out the mix for anyone who is blacked out from a particular game, but then if you live in Jacksonville or Oakland 8 times out of the year you don't see the mix channel.

I'm guessing making the little box for the blacked out game be blacked out only for those under the blackout would end up being too much of a hassle for DirecTV.

And if it were going to come to that, personally I'd rather see DirecTV use the resources to make the game mix look better. Too much of the screen is wasted. When I tune to the channel, the entire screen should literally be cut up into 8 or 10 16:9 rectangles. No blue background, no big "Game Mix" banner. I was very disappointed, even when I threw the Game Mix on the projector with the 150" screen. The individual boxes were too small and all I noticed was how there was ample extra space that is unused.

12. lman12

lman12 AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Are you sure? I live in Central NJ. I've had the NFL Sunday Ticket via Directv since 1996. There are really 2 "home" markets for me if we are talking DMA and NFL blackouts - Philly (Iggles) and NYC (Jets/Giants). The Jets and Giants have consecutive years of sellouts so blackout are not an issue. Philly has had the occasional blackout in years past via OTA but I have always received all the games via the ST Mix Channels and I have never, ever had any other game blacked out in the 13 years I've had the Ticket.

13. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    Living in NorCal, I can unequivocally say that any game that is locally blacked out is not shown on the Mix channel. The blacked out games are left off of the Mix channel. The Red Zone Channel, however, will show cut-ins of blacked out games.

Not surprised about the Chargers. Up until two years ago, the agreement they had with the City of San Diego forced the City to buy up all unsold tickets in order to assure a sellout. The City had that removed from its agreement, so now Charger games must sellout on their own.

14. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    That game is sold out.

As i said blacked out games are not shown on the gamemix channel.

The chargers game this week is blacked out so put the gamemix on sunday & tell me if you see that game.

If you do that will be some trick.

15. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Cincinnati beat the deadline and will not be a blackout.

Detroit received an extension and will not be a blackout.

San Diego is running out of time.

Oakland? Not sure.

16. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I highly doubt the Raiders/Rams game will sell out. As bad as the Raiders were last week there's not much incentive for people to go purchase tickets for the game. The Raiders are hurt by the image some of their fans have put forth as being drunk and rude to all those aorund them. It gets played up in the media and the Raiders haven't really done much to counter act it. The bright side for Raiders fans if they are not at the game at least they can hear Greg Papa on the radio. But, as other's have said not having the games on TV only hurts the fans who can't afford a game or have other plans and can't spend an entire Sunday going to a game. So at this point the game would be blacked out in SF/Oak/SJ, Sac/Stockton/Modesto, and Monterey/Salinas since all those markets fall within 75 miles of the stadium. So if you're the Oakland Raiders.......your 3+ hr infomercial can't be shown in your local market(s).

** bit of an update, it is official the Raiders game will be blacked out.

17. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    The Chargers failed to beat the deadline...an official blackout.

18. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    This is the Raiders first home opener blacked out since 2004.

This is only going to get worse as the season progresses, especially in Oakland and San Diego. Given the economy, high price of tickets, and a better experience staying home than going to the stadium, the NFL is whistling past the graveyard if it thinks this week's blackouts are just an aberation. On top of that, the Raiders only have about 24,000 season ticket holders. With the potential of half its games being blacked out, the Raiders will have to really turn it around to re-build interest. Of course a record seven losing seasons in a row hasn't helped.

19. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    I guess all those cali people are spending their $$ on botox & shrinks.

20. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    Not in Oakland, they simply can't afford Al Davis' ridiculous ticket prices, including paying anything over $10 to sit in "Mount Davis," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland-Alameda_County_Coliseum#Mount_Davis

Even $26/each for those seats is a complete joke.