1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standard Channels on a HD Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dazed&confuzed, Mar 29, 2011.

1. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Does anyone know if you can order an HD Receiver and not subscribe to the HD channels? :confused:
    I would like to use the HDMI connection of the HD receiver to connect to my TV instead of the composite video that is on the R-15 DVR that I have now. And of course the much longer recording times available with the larger hard drive in the unit.
    D&C

2. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I believe I have read here that the Terms Of Service require subscription to HD service if you have advanced (HD) equipment.

3. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Figures, Several years ago you could do it. I knew I should have taken advantage of it then. They probably would have made me upgrade olong the way sometime anyway. :nono2:
    D&C

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You can try and find a R22 online to buy. It should give you what you want.

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good suggestion. I have an R22 but no HD service from DirecTV and it's hooked up to my 42" flat screen TV via an HDMI connection. Works great plus DirecTV considers it an SD DVR so they won't bug me if I stick with SD.

6. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm watching several on E-Bay now.
    There are a couple with much higher prices that state they are "Owned" units. Will this make a difference in activation? I don't mind paying the leased receiver fee but don't want any hassles when I activate.

7. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    There's no such thing as a lease fee anymore. All receivers besides the primary one carry a "mirror" fee whether they're owned or not. But no worries. It will be activated as leased whether it's owned or not. ;)

Activating an owned receiver as owned is something I never managed to do. I tried and failed many times. They'll tell you it's owned on the phone, via email, you name it. But when you cancel, all your receivers are magically leased again and started a new commitment to boot.

Good luck.

8. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yes, it will make quite a difference in activation. Leased equipment will not be able to be activated.

And as I always say:

Remember, when shopping for a used receiver to always check the receiver ID with the access card distribution team (ACDT). Often, whoever first answers the phone at DIRECTV insists they can help with this, and more often than not, they give inaccurate, incomplete, and just downright wrong information. Make sure you are talking to the access card distribution team when calling. If the first person you talk to won't transfer you there, call back and speak to someone else that will.

The receiver must have a receiver ID
    The receiver must have been owned on the last account it was active on
    The receiver must disconnected, no longer receiving programming service
    The last account the receiver was on must be in good standing and not past due or in collections

Make certain the agent is looking at the last active account. Some agents are new, and even though they should know better, they sometimes mistakenly think if it was ever leased or ever on an account in bad standing ever in its life it is no good. This is completely incorrect thinking. If all four above are good, then you will be able to use it.

9. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Right now I have a R-15 DVR (Purchased as a "leased" unit from Best Buy) and an old RCA unit that I purchased outright more years ago that I want to admit. Every month on the bill I get a "leased receiver fee" and the DVR fee. There are no other fees on the bill.
    So no matter what receiver I get either from E-Bay or Direct TV I'll end up paying a "Mirror" fee?

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Maybe the old RCA is hidden in the programming package, since the first receiver is free. Mine says "Primary leased receiver" followed by "Primary leased receiver credit" or something like that. Was there a programming package that included the receiver but excluded those two lines in the bill?

11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    YES-you get one primary receiver included in your monthly bill all other Receivers -Add $6.00 a month (no matter if owned or lease). :)

12. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    OK so that make sense, The 6.00 is probably for the R15 unit as the RCA seems to be considered my Primary. So unless I can get an R-22 cheap I might as well bite the bullet and get the r24. The only thing I would save is the 10 HD fee.
    Either way I would still have to recommit to a two year contract even with the E-Bay receiver, correct?

13. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If you do auto-pay they can give you a $10 free HD credit after you activate your HD receiver, so you wouldn't see anything different, except for the additional $6 per box.

Activating an owned receiver will not recommit you, but activating a new leased on will.

14. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    NOT if you are in an MPEG4 LIL market, though - ONLY HD equipment (& the R22) will work in these areas. If you do NOT pay for HD access, all the national HD channels are hidden out of the EPG (the menu setting to change this is also locked out) & the box is locked down to 480, so that even the HD locals are in SD only.

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Actually I think someone recently said they are not locked to 480 anymore in MPEG 4 markets. They allow them to see there local channels in HD, but not the rest of the HD channels. I could be wrong though. I live in an MPEG 4 market, but I don't know anyone without HD Access so I'm not sure.

16. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    So the locals might come through in HD?
    How would the rest of the channels display?
    I understand that they would be in standard def but would they be 4:3 or 16:9?
    That is one thing that bugs me now about the R-15 I have. It is only showing a standard 4:3 screen on my TV even though I have it set to 16:9. The TV I have does not have an S-Video input only composite and Component. And the R-15 doesn't have component outputs. I do have a S-Video to HDMI converter on it's way but I don't hold out much hope that it will make anything better.

17. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    One of the firmware release notes said that the receivers were no longer locked to 480i/p output, but nobody has confirmed it yet that I have seen.

18. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I have never had those lines in my bill. Some people get those lines, some don't. Supposedly it has to do with whether the leased receiver fee is taxed, but that didn't trigger it when I had leased receivers (currently all of my receivers are owned) :confused:

19. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    I'm still billed for the primary receiver, but then get a credit further down for the same amount.

20. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    Here's the scoop as of two months ago for the H20:

If you have an H20, the output is locked to 480p max. These boxes cannot hide the HD duplicates. Obviously if you turn to a national HD channel, you get "channel not authorized." (which is the default when you enter the channel # and a real PITA).

Here's the scoop as of yesterday for the H24:

The "hide HD duplicates" is automatically selected and grayed out, meaning you cannot choose anything else. I'm pretty sure that the locals are allowed in 720p and 1080i. This is new -- when I got the H24s two months ago they behaved like the H20s.

There is a caveat -- if it detects the USB port as active, it will unlock the hide or show HD duplicates feature. I had a Paterson USB changer plugged into an H24, and on that box I could choose anything. On the box upstairs, that menu option was grayed out.

For all boxes, you can choose whether to crop, letterbox, or go with original format by pressing the format button on the remote. The installers are obviously trained to set it to crop -- they went in and changed my setting to crop. I just changed it back after he left.

I can't verify anything else since I had HD service turned on yesterday. :D