1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standard Definition on big screen

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by HIPAR, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    I just connected my standard resolution DTV to a new Sharp 37 inch LCD HDTV. The normal picture clarity offered by DTV, especially background detail, is not really that good on a standard definition TV but that situation is exasperated on the big screen LCD. The picture clarity is horrible!

I have tried several viewing modes and didn't find any to be satisfactory. I am currently watching a mode that appears to fit the picture width but crops the top and bottom. What is the best viewing compromise?

--- CHAS

2. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    Can you change the receiver output? On my HD TiVo I can change what mode the receiver outputs to the TV. You might have it set to output 1080i or 720p when you are watching 480i programming. See if that gets you what you need. The SD on D* once you start watching HD is almost unwatchable, though.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Also reduce the brightness, contrast and sharpness settings. These are factory set way too high and can exacerbate PQ.

4. dgordo

dgordo Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2004
    The problem with using any larger HD TV with a SD feed is that so much more detail is shown. D* and pretty much all providers optimize their picture for a 27inch SD TV. Any TV bigger then that shows a lot of issues. I have tried D*, E* and comcast and none of them is much better then any of the others. As more people get HD TV's that are bigger I believe that the providers will have to improve the quality.

5. SnowFade

SnowFade AllStar

Jul 5, 2004
    I recently upgraded from a 27" to a 36" and really started to notice a PQ issue, especially on my local channels. Channels from the 101 satellite are still pretty good, but my locals from 119 are quite poor, especially with rapid motion (like sports every weekend). I'm hoping the situation will improve with the new satellites removing some of the need for compression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.