1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Standing in line for a new toy.... WHY?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    In case you were paying attention to the news, the new iPhone was released today.... along with the obligatory story about people in line to be the first to get the new iToy.

Let me be one of the many people to ask... WHY?

This story is repeated ad nausea over the years as it relates to the new Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, Game, and iPhone over the years. The people are camped out overnight. Do these people not have lives? Or jobs? I would feel pretty silly asking my boss to take a few days off to get a new electronics item... especially one which, in a week or so, I could easily purchase without a long wait. Is it really that necessary to be the first on the block to have that iGadget?

The last time I remember standing in line for something, it was before the local community offered online registration for classes (about 15-20 years ago). I needed to get this one class that had limited availability, so yes, I took the day off, and it was for something I needed (an education), not something I wanted. Any boss can understand that.

The last time I got something "brand new and at launch" was last year's Samsung S3 Android phone. Even then, it was ahead of schedule, and the sole reason was not for the phone having 4G capabiltiy (verses my existing 3G Android phone), but because I wanted to get an upgrade before Verizon changed the plans and I would lose my unlimited data plan. I have been stung once too many times from "first release defects" that get fixed in later versions of the same device.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The problem is the same problem that results in companies rushing to market rather than fully test their products...

People want to be first.

People want to be first more than they want to be best, or even good.

People stand in line for stuff they don't even want just so they can say they were first to have some new widget OR even better to get that widget and wave it in the face of someone who didn't get one at all!

It's nothing new in the history of the world... it is a little sad... but not new.

I haven't wanted anything enough to be in any of those kinds of lines... I'm perfectly happy to wait a few weeks on some new product I want if it means I can avoid the camping out and lines.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you had watched an interview that was of several of the people that had waited for 2 weeks to get one you would have seen that people wanting to advertise their stuff had given many of them clothes, watches and even paid for their new Iphone for them to wear their clothes, etc. It was cheap for the companies to have most everyone that passed by see those people sleeping and hanging out there and seeing the items they provided for them.

For a lot of them it is just as already stated, they want to be first to have it in their social circle.
    I don't have one at all. I use a prepaid $19.99 phone and buy 1,000 minutes of talk and text for $100 and it lasts me all year.
    I do all my internet stuff at home.

4. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    People robbed waiting on a line for new iPhone.
    http://www.khou.com/news/local/iPhone-camping-robbery-Houston-store-5c-5s-224546771.html

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I placed an order online while at the company blood drive, supposed to ship in 4 days.

6. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    I'd never wait in line for a phone or game console, but I have waited in line for concert tickets - dating myself, yes - and that was a fun, communal experience. Maybe people camping out for an electronic device feel the same way? Whatever the reason, I don't understand why so many people feel the need to deride them for it. Who is it bothering? Better than having a group of people flood a public park and turn it into a wasteland of tents and filth as they chant slogans and harass the neighborhood.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Tickle Me Elmo

1 person likes this.
  8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Note that I didn't say concerts, as they are often limited. Also, with Ticketmaster, there is a significant markup (which is why I don't attend concerts).

Who does it bother? Noone really. I just happen to think "Whats the point?"

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Lemmings. If they had to jump off a cliff to get the new phones, I'll bet some of them would.

Rich

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You didn't "need" the class or an education; you wanted them. Same with these iphone people; they want it.

11. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    It gives them something to do and lets them feel a part of something.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    They're the want it now generation.

They also firmly believe if it is newer it MUST be better.

I agree with WC Fields that there's a sucker born every minute.

13. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Hey, if it gets them out of their parents' basement for a few days it's a good thing -- time enough to exterminate! :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Have we forgotten Cabbage Patch Kids and the various Nike shoe riots? OK, near-riots. What was it a couple of years ago that people were getting robbed and shot for as they walked out of the store to their cars?

Then there are the people who pay top dollar to have a $10 widget delivered via Next Day Air, Saturday Delivery.

Why? Think of the Tin Man .... If they only had a brain.

People are stupid. Humanity is doomed.

15. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    That was PT Barnum, not WC Fields.

16. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    It's one thing to be an early adopter and quite something else to camp out in line to score a first day purchase.
    I was a somewhat early adopter when I upgraded from a broken HTC Thunderbolt to my Motorola Droid Razr HD -- far from first in line, but I think within the first month that Verizon had it available.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I also wouldn't bother telling my boss why I was taking the day off. If the day was available and I wanted to spend it playing GTA or whatever, it's really of no consequence. Or am I just in an unusual position?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't ridicule the line-waiters... but I do wish they would not be so eager, because maybe then companies would not rush to market so much. When a company knows they will have a line around the block for whatever they release, they tend to release whatever they can to get people in that line.

1 person likes this.
  19. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I bought an 'Eggstractor' (AS SEEN ON TV !!!!) at a garage sale for $1.

I was pretty sure it wouldn't work, and I was correct, but it was worth the dollar to turn a hard boiled egg inside out and then blast it all over the kitchen.

(yes, I am easily amused)

:coffee

1 person likes this.
  20. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Note that I didn't say concerts, as they are often limited. Also, with Ticketmaster, there is a significant markup (which is why I don't attend concerts).

Who does it bother? Noone really. I just happen to think "Whats the point?"
    I have been there done that, for some of the iPhones. I can relate to Apple but not the gaming consoles. There are a few folks that see Apple as a "culture" and these folks has been with Apple from a very long time. These folks see Steve Jobs as their "hero" and feel very loyal to Apple. these folks are usually monikered as "fan boys". So in an effort to support this "culture", we must have the latest and greatest from Apple and do "crazy" things to get them

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk