1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek Timeline

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Ken S, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Okay, I've now watched all of Star Trek: Enterprise in HD. I've watched the original series many times (starting with the original airings).

So...will one of you Trekies please fill me in on the other three series. I've given them all a try in the past and didn't stick with them...but I'm going to start again and attempt to go where this man hasn't gone before...

So...

Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek Deep Space Nine (This one I found to be dull and relabeled it Deep Space Toll Booth) and Voyager.

Where do they fit in the overall timeline. What's Voyager about is it before or after Capt Steubing...I mean Picard took over the Enterprise?

Are any of them available in HD...or any enhanced format.

Thanks in advance.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Time Line Order:

-) Enterprise (long gap in the timeline till Original Series)
    -) Original Series (long gap in the timeline till Next Generation)
    -) Next Generation
    -) Deep Space Nine (with a 3 or 4 year overlap with Next Generation)
    -) Voyager (with a 3/4 year overlap with DS9)

Voyager started about 7 years after Next Generation ended.

STNG, ST:DS9, ST:Voyager are a continuous "timeline", with their overlaps in place.

STNG, ST:DS9, ST:Voyager have been not been reproduced in an enahnced or HD format yet, anywhere that I have seen.

3. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    ≈85 years between TOS and TNG

Don't forget the animated series (non canonical)

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Thank you. I guess I'll try and watch them in order then.

5. Bondo

Bondo New Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Watch them in this order:

-) Original Series "TOS"
    -) Next Generation "TNG"
    -) Deep Space Nine "DS9"
    -) Voyager "VOY"
    -) Enterprise "ENT"

Enterprise will reference TOS and TNG elements (via time travel, alternate time lines, etc).

6. Bondo

Bondo New Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Also, The Animated Series is worth checking out (after watching TOS).

Some of the storylines are very fantastical. But overall there are some very good episodes that add a lot to the fabric of the Original Series (e.g. Spock's childhood in Yesteryear).

Well worth at least a rental.

7. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Deep Space nine was like a waiting room for Trekkies. It served its purpose to give us to go, but nobody ever wants to remember they were that desperate. I will watch them again one day in HD if available, but I will never admit it

TNG was the revival of the series and has its place in history. The Borg aspect gave it the life it needed.

Voyager, well, all I need to say is 7of9 and leotards. That can get you through 2 - 6 seasons

8. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    There are a dozen movies to watch too! ;-)

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Also there is the new movie now on track for Summer '09 which will take place perhaps 10 years before the original series.

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I've seen all the movies...including ST2 with that horrid blue cloud on screen for hours. :). It's TNG, Voyager and DS9 that I'm going to give another shot.

I thought Enterprise while a bit uneven had some great episodes. Unfortunately, The Trekies didn't like it all that much (even bitching endlessly about the theme song), and with it being on UPN it had little chance of survival with a general audience.

Maybe Star Trek is just better off being in movie form every couple of years.

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I think the cloud you're thinking of is from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan had the Mutara Nebula at the end but there was a lot of action in it.

12. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Methinks Ken wouldn't appreciate my "Faith In The Fart" song parody. ;)

And The Motionless Picture is my second favorite, after ST:2.

But, hey, we agree on Enterprise.

And, Ken, watch them in any order. It really makes no difference. If you were going to press me, though, I'd say broadcast order, although with that you'd unfortunately have to watch two of Trek's most dreadful seasons at the same time, season 7 of TNG and season 2 of DS9..

13. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Happy Birthday Leonard Nimoy!!! 77 today.

14. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Whats that equal to in Vulcan years?

15. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    About 12 1/2.

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    TNG didn't start hitting it's stride until near the end of the second season.

17. jjsanders281

jjsanders281 New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Why does everyone hate DS9? I thought it was a close second to TNG. The whole series started out slow but seasons 3 through 7 were great. Especially when the whole Dominion War broke out.

18. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "I don't understand the sentiment." -- LN

19. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I watched and enjoyed from the start...

20. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I think the problem with DS9 (and Voyager somewhat) is that when we watch ST, we want to see a bunch of friendly co-workers who find ways to solve problems through ingenuity and teamwork. In effect, we imagine ourselves as bridge officers, watching over our buddies' shoulders. The Berman-ized approach was to make characters who would always have a hard time getting along, and while that made it easier to find drama, it wasn't attractive escapism.

DS9 and Voyager both improved when everyone worked together against common enemies. It took a long time for DS9 to get there, and I lost interest along the way.

And IMHO, the nagging problem with Voyager was that everyone was there because of Janeway's error(s). If she had not interfered with the Delta Quadrant's problems and had used the Caretaker's array to get home, then there's no big problem. There's no show either, but couldn't they have found another reason for them to be stuck out there?

Anyway, all the ST series have had great episodes and stinkers. With the benefit of hindsight, now we have the chance to choose which ones are worth watching. :)