1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stargate Atlantis: "This Mortal Coil" 12/7/2007

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by lwilli201, Dec 9, 2007.

1. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Would someone please explain what this episode was all about? :confused:

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think the biggest thing was this was a lead-in to the next episode .. Basically, they spent an hour telling us:

• Weir is dead and cannot return (we all know she could still return if necessary :))
    • There are a heck of a lot of Replicator ships now.

They also showed of some cool graphics techniques by having all four duplicates face to face in the tent .. that was nice. Plus, Rodney talking to Rodney was some great dialog.

3. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Yea, it was a little confusing there for a moment. I agree with Doug, it was one big setup for the next episode.

Rodney to Rodney was pretty good. lol

4. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I am going to watch it again and see if I can make some sense out of it. Yes, Rodney to Rodney was great.

5. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm sad the "real" Weir is dead, but if we can't have the real Weir, I'll take "Replicator-grown" Weir any day ...

The best part of this episode was definitely the Rodney-Rodney conversation. It's just a good thing there were others in the tent with them, because with all the self-love, well ... :p

6. Kurgan

Kurgan AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    I only got a little confused as to who was the "real" Atlantis team and who was the duplicated ones when they were all together on that one planet with the gate. The only way to identify the newer team was by their more leather-like uniforms, which they pointed out when Rodney met Rodney. The only difference I saw between the two Ronons was the way the hair was styled. The duplicate Ronon had his hair tied up on his head, and the real Ronon had his hair let down in his long dredlocks. Aside from that I understood the episode perfectly.

You just have to realize that Weir, Shepard, Teyla, Ronon, and McKay were all clones/duplicates from the start of the episode, but just didn't know it. When revealed they were duplicates, it made sense to them, but they were hoping that it was a lie and they only had nannites injected into them. But when they met the real Atlantis team, they knew for sure they were duplicates. Either way, being so much like their real selves, they felt obligated to help their real selves against the replicators with the information they possessed.

It'll probably make more sense the 2nd time watching it for some people. :)

I thought it was a great episode. I got a lot of entertainment out of watching it. Rodney + Rodney was great dialog.

7. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    This episode shows that the vision of the destruction of Atlantis by the Replicators in "The Seer" was a true vision. Just not not the original Atlantis.

8. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Yea, good call on that.

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I had forgotten about that as well. I did realize it at the time, though :grin:. I actually really enjoyed this episode .. The only episodes of Atlantis that I just hop through are the ones that are told like a "horror" story .. like the one when they were deep underwater last year.