1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stargate Atlantis vs Stargate Universe

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by HDTVFreak07, Aug 26, 2010.

1. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    I'm pretty disappointed they discontinued producing new episodes of Stargate Atlantis and went with Stargate Universe. To be honest, Stargate Universe is just awful (even though I continue to watch it... in hopes it gets better). I'm stuck with watching reruns of SA because they are by far better than SU. Thoughts?

2. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Kind of late to the party aren't you? The last episode of season 1 aired in middle June and season 2 doesn't start again till the end of September.
    Just sayin'
    There were plenty of discussions here when it was relevant.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Where SGA kinda similar to SG1
    SGU is a totally new show...

Different idea/concept.

I often compare it to ST:NG when they went to DS9.
    Totally new direction, and structure... because of the major change in situation.

I think SGU will be fine in time... they have to continue to develop the characters, and fix some of the original problem they had... Which I think they have been. (like abusing the communication stones)

I am going to continue to watch...

4. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    I know I'm kind of late but I'm just far too frustrated with SA no longer showing as I'm watching the reruns of them now (on SyFy). Oh well, I know life goes on.

When does SU return? Of course I'll watch it but they were nowhere as good as SA.

5. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Last I read it was 28 Sep.
    Universe was/is trying to capitalize on the BSG crowd at the time that was getting such great ratings.

6. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    My Stargate experience is thus: The original movie, IMO not really all that good despite having James Spader as Jackson. Didn't pay attention to SG-1 at first maybe because it started on Showtime and maybe because I wasn't impressed with the movie so I was only vaguely aware of it's existence. Once it made the jump to Sci-Fi I started watching and of course caught up on the back episodes, I watched fairly regularly until season 5 or 6 and then I guess I just got bored of it because I'd only catch it now and then. When they brought Claudia Black on as part of the cast I started paying more attention again (her character really injected some new energy and fun into the show IMO) so I was a regular watcher again for the last two seasons. Stargate Atlantis, I tried but it could just never grab me, not sure why, maybe it was the same ol' boredom thing that I had a problem with in the middle of SG-1. Stargate Universe well because it was so different I have been paying attention so far although there are some things that drive me nuts about it (I hate those stupid stones that allow you to visit via through other people) and it did seem to start awfully slow it has been improving IMO and i'll continue to watch once the 2nd season starts.

7. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    The main things I found appealing about SG-1 were that it took place in the present on earth, giving it a connection to here and now, and it wasn't a re-hash of Star Trek. The characters and stories made references to real, current things and that, I think, made the show more interesting.

So ... Atlantis comes along and we're transported far from earth. And, speaking of "transporters," the show added space ships with lasers and transporters and all kinds of Star Treky stuff. All that made the show less interesting.

Now we have Universe ... and it's not interesting at all.

-- Roger

8. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I love the fact that I completely understood this statement. Whereas my wife would be completely lost.

9. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    yes, I am a bit worried that that little string of of characters made perfect sense to me as well.:lol:

I have said it before in other threads, but Universe is fine for me until they play the montage songs. I just mute the stereo and wait till someones mouth moves again.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I've got so much television to watch I can't even think about SGU. I'm sure I'll have complaints again in October or whenever as I watch every episode the next season.:sure:

11. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    To me SGU feels like BSG 2.0