1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Start/Stop Times and Overlapping Recordings - HR44

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by superJess, Feb 15, 2014.

1. superJess

superJess Cool Member

Jul 29, 2002
    I just switched to DirecTV and had an HR44 installed this morning. I'm working on setting up recordings and I was wondering if I set it up to start recordings early and end them late, will it ignore that setting if there are back-to-back shows? If so, how much time will it ignore? For example, do I have to choose 1 min start early/1 min stop late to get it to ignore it or 2 min or 3 min?

I've tried to search for this as I'm sure this info exists somewhere, but I'm not having much luck.

2. coconut13

coconut13 Member

Apr 14, 2013
    It will record them for every minute they are set for. The only way it wouldn't, is if there were a tuner conflict. And if you have a Genie you have 5 tuners. So a conflict isn't that likely.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, if the y are back to back shows and they overlap, the DVR will another tuner if available, if not available the show will get cancelled and the DVR will try to record another showing if available

2. None. however when ever possible the DVR record 30 seconds before and after

4. superJess

superJess Cool Member

Jul 29, 2002
    That's what I'm worried about - if I need all 5 tuners at once, will it ignore the overlap? My Dish receiver did this - it only recorded the 1 min early / 2 min late if there were no tuner conflicts. If there were tuner conflicts it cut that extra time off rather than not recording the other show.

I know using up 5 at once is unlikely, but I hate to set them all up with the padding and then later have to worry about changing them to "On Time" because I start getting conflicts.

5. superJess

superJess Cool Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Hmm. Okay, good to know. Best to set them all up On Time then.

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that is your best bet. unless you know of a specific show that goes over time.

7. coconut13

coconut13 Member

Apr 14, 2013
    I have an HR24 and when I used to record back-to-back shows (Revenge and Betrayal) for instance it would have the 30 second overlap like peds48 mentioned. It would only use 1 tuner, also. I had the shows to record on-time. The Revenge recording would run into the start of the Betrayal show and the Betrayal recording would start before the end of the Revenge show.

8. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Or when you record CBS on Sunday evenings during NFL season, add 1 hour to every show.
    That really hurts us on EST and CST. Even 1/2 hour isn't enough.

Not sure how MST and PST handle the CBS football running late issue.

9. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    i don't think football runs late on the west coast...the "late" games are over at 4pm.

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Has this changed? I always thought it was 30 seconds early and 90 seconds later?

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Correct

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, I am on the East Coast and I record "60 minutes". I always add 2 hours

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    IIRC, is 30 seconds

14. Burt

Burt AllStar

Jul 14, 2005
    I have all my recordings end two minutes later than the end of the program. If back-to-back programs are on the same channel, both programs record perfectly, even if both tuners are tied up. If both programs are on different channels and both tuners are tied up, one of the programs gets short-changed. This is on an HR-23, but I would assume your HR44 would do the same.

15. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I have a DISH 722, and 2 DirecTV HR-2Xs on my main TV (6 sat tuners, not counting the AM21s and DISH OTA) and can't say I've ever had a problem and I have almost all recordings padded.

I'd be optimistic the TS will be fine.

16. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    As TheRatPatrol said, it's 30 seconds at the beginning, 90 seconds at the end.

Source: I record "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" every night, and sometimes forget when "TDS" ends to switch to my "TCR" recording.

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    As the others have said if you just set up your recordings to start and stop on time, the DVR will acutally start the recording 30 seconds before the show, and end 90 seconds after the show, as long as the tuners are free. If the tuners need to be used before or after the show then it will just start or stop the recording on time and you won't get the extra time, but it will record the other shows.

The exception to this is if you have two shows set to record back to back on the same channel. If that happens the DVR is smart enought to realize it and it will record both of them using the same tuner, so both will get the extra recording time.

If you actually set your recordings to start early or end late manually, then it will always do so, and it will cancel other recordings as needed according to their priority in order to get those extra minutes.

So for most people it makes more sense to not tell it to record extra time, unless you know for sure that a certain show goes over pretty much every time. Otherwise you are better off just relying on the built in padding so you are less likely to miss other recordings.