1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting to save for a new laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mark Holtz, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1 of 50
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I have that funky feeling that I should start saving up money for a new laptop. The laptop that I'm using, a HP ze49xx, is a Celeron 1.6 GHz that I got in 2005. It does the job, but sadly, XP is just not cutting it anymore. The specs that I am looking at:
    • Windows 7 64-bit OS
    • Non Intel graphics chipset
    • Ability to Virtualize apps (I use Virtualbox)
    • WiFi Networking
    Uses for the computer:
    • Presentations - I am starting to do more public speaking, and need a laptop to do Powerpoint
    • Watching DVDs :)
    • Internet on the go
    • Playing games
    What has me confused is the graphics chipsets that are available from nVidia and AMD (ATi). If I know how much I'll be spending, I know what to start saving for.

BTW: This will be in addition to my main desktop computer, not replacing my desktop computer. Call me old school.

2. Mar 3, 2012 #2 of 50
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Check out Alienware if you want cutting edge.
    Personally, I have a HP Elitebook i5, and it does most those things you mentioned. I dont know what Virtualizing apps are tho. The Elitebooks are fast. Heard Asus laptops are good too.

3. Mar 3, 2012 #3 of 50
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Just about any sub $500 laptop will do what you need.

Just check out slickdeals every day for deals. I bought two laptops in December (one Asus, one HP), both for under $300 (Win7, quadcore, HDMI out, camera, DVD burner, etc.)

4. Mar 3, 2012 #4 of 50
    Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    See this entry from Wikipedia for Virtualbox. What I like to do is run Virtual Machines of Linux and Windows operating systems to test out functionality. Virtual machines, however, require a fairly fast processor and lots of memory.

5. Mar 3, 2012 #5 of 50
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Gotcha. Reminds me of running MSDOS and Windows3 on my Amiga way back when.
    Only other OS I use besides Win7 is an occasional linux boot to copy a Tivo drive or run some software of that type. For those, I just boot off the CD. Interesting app tho.

6. Mar 3, 2012 #6 of 50
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I agree with Dave on Alienware. They're rugged , well designed computers.
    You might want to ask the guys who went to CES for their views on what they saw that will be coming down the pike.
    Coming in May or June are laptops from Vizio that have all the critics excited. Here's a first look from the Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/9/2694072/vizio-thin-and-light-laptops-first-hands-on#2827791
    CNet also spoke excitedly about the Vizio line. Biggest downside I can see is the lack of an internal DVD drive due to the thinness of the computers. Vizio will have an external Blu-ray drive for them. It appears that the two USB ports are USB3, so there should be no problem with the external drive.

7. Mar 5, 2012 #7 of 50
    Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I noticed a laptop from Dell that seems to be up my alley. It has a Intel Core i5-2410M Processor, 2.30GHz and a 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M w/ HDMI 1.4, Mini Displayport. Maybe there will be similar or better deals in a few months.

8. Mar 5, 2012 #8 of 50
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Ive never owned one, and may be totally out in left field here, but I have been advised by friends and co workers to avoid Dell at all costs. Various different reasons were given. Might check with some Dell owners before going that route.

9. Mar 5, 2012 #9 of 50
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Dell's OK, but there's less usually less expensive options.

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I'm typing this on a Dell 610 refurb I bought about 3-4 years ago for under $300 -- still going strong.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Why was it refurbed ;) ?? J/K

12. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm doing the same thing that I did with purchasing a television. If I'm going to plunk down some serious cash, I can also do some research and ask questions. If I recall correctly, I set down my parameters and what models I was interested in and got opinions back in September for a television that I ended up purchasing on December 31st. The opinions and experiences helped with my purchase.

13. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Check the Dell outlet occasionally. These machines are not refurbs (necessarily) but returns that people don't want. Sometimes you can find a good deal.

14. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I personally have never been a huge fan of Dell but my mother in law has had a Dell laptop (Inspiron series) that has been running solid now for almost 6 years and has never had a single issue with it.

15. Rob77

Rob77 Godfather

Sep 24, 2007
    With new high speed/low power processors coming on the market in a few months.....there will be lots of computer "sales" coming up as they try to clear stock. Besides being much faster the new chips, will allow for 8 to 10 hours of REAL operating time.

16. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    AHA! A co-worker pointed me to this chart comparing the different mobile graphics chipsets. Funny how Intel isn't consider a "Class 1" graphics chipset.

The new "high speed/lower power processors" will probably come out at the same time as Windows 8. I think I can live with Windows 7.... as long as its 64 bits.

17. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    I've owned or used Dell, Compaq, IBM, Lenovo laptops and have no preference for any particular brand. For the graphics cards I am an Nvidia fan as their cards have backward compatibility whereas ATI creates cards that are not backward compatible in many cases. If you have a locally installed game or 2 you play a newer ATI card might not support it.

Personally I'm pitching the Windoze environment as my boxes at home die and replacing with Mac hardware/OS. Between the IO issues, advanced features instability, OS related "nuggets" I have to deal with daily at work using SqlServer that make this supposedly point and click OS anything but, makes me consider it in most unkindly terms YMMV.

Compaq hard drives seem to have shorter lifespans in my experience but I've not had one new since the HP merger and they became one large rock sinking in the pond.

The old IBM think Pads were definitely industrial strength and I believe Lenovo bought the rights to that particular line.

With pricing coming down as it has though as someone earlier mentioned, pretty much any reasonably priced unit should do what you ask. And do you really need the amped up graphics?

Don "cheap and disposable is now possible and perhaps desirous" Bolton

18. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Avoid Dell - HORRIBLE quality control and even worse customer service. Shame, because they were best-in-breed at one time.

Honestly, see if you or a friend can build a PC. It's not terribly tough, and you'll have a PC free of "crapware" that all the manufactures load. (Stuff like Norton anti-virus, greeting card makers, etc).

Windows 7, 64 bit home ultimate, Microsoft security essentials, your favorite browser (I like Chrome) and e-mail client, and you're well on the way.

(PS - I'm a Windows fan, but that Mac Mini is darn interesting)

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Building a tower is easy, but I don't think I'd consider building a laptop to be easy.

20. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm partial to HP, but I bought my granddaughter an ASUS and my daughter has had some Dell's over the years. The problem with saving up for a particular computer is that unless saving up time is less than 60 days, technology changes. I'd decide how much I want to spend and save that up, then go looking for the best combination of features I could find. Regarding graphic chipsets, at various times I've had nVidia and ATI, and for what I do there didn't seem to be any noticeable difference. If I were a gamer, I might have a different opinion on that.