1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starz Free Preview...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Tubbie, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tubbie

Tubbie Cool Member

Jun 21, 2007
    ...scheduled for October 18 to 21, from cnnmoney.com today.

I'm thinking about adding more premium channels so will definitely check them out. Anyone has any opinion on Starz and the other premium channels? Worth the money to have them?

Thanks in advance.

-Sydney

2. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    I had them when I first subscribed to Dish Network. I got tired of them after the first year because it got to the point where the content they showed was redundant. Wasn't worth it anymore, so I dropped them.

With all these free previews, subscribing to anything seems pointless.

3. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    You beat me to it, DAMN(in a Ron Simmons Voice).

4. Tubbie

Tubbie Cool Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Sorry, Jack. Beat you by a hare. Get it? By a hare..."jack" rabbit...hare. Never mind. :(

5. RTE

RTE Cool Member

Aug 26, 2007
    My view, the Starz/Encore is the best lineup of movies out there. While I have all the movie channels, if I cut back Starz/Encore would be the last to go.:glasses:

6. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    FYI if you haven't taken advantage of this already, the Showtime Unlimited 3-months free offer is still going on until Oct. 31st. It will only cost you $5 to downgrade after the 3 month preview if you chose not to keep Showtime.

7. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    They're over til next fall.

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I fully agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. koralis

koralis Godfather

Aug 10, 2005
    Sure, but my DVR is full. :)

(not that I would be likely to order them anyway... the local library system has a great DVD selection/swap policy. I subscribed to HBO for a while when a series I was interested in was on. For movies though, I have cheaper options.)

10. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    Can someone tell me what channels this Starz preview is on, including StarzHD?

It was suppose to start at 9pm.

Can you set a timer to record a movie with this preview?

11. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    285 for starzhd

yes you can record

12. Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    290 to 297 for the non-HD channels. And you can record any of them.

13. dclaryjr

dclaryjr Godfather

Mar 10, 2007

Ditto. I may have to break down and buy a USB drive and give Charlie his $39. Just recording all of "The War" on PBS is eating up my HD record space!

14. SingleAction

SingleAction Legend

Apr 29, 2005
    Thanks, I found it this morning, and set to record 6 movies I haven't seen.

15. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    So far we have had the Showtime preview, followed by the Cinemax preview and now Starz. I would have to say that I selected more movies to record from the Starz weekend than from either or the other two. I haven't found much of anything compelling on Showtime and the same for Cinemax. The Starz films are all a year or more old but they were all winner so if you missed them originally it is a good place to pick them up. Not sure it is worth a subscription but it is nice to be able to fill up that external hard drive with a few movies I had missed.

..Doyle

16. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Don't forget there was an HBO free preview between the Showtime and Cinemax free preview.

IIRC this is the first time all 4 had free previews so close to each other.

17. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    There was a Starz preview before the Showtime preview, IIRC. I think we have had Starz, Showtime, HBO, Cinemax, then Starz in the last month. There was also a month of Encore Action, I think. My collection has gone up quite a bit.

18. Tubbie

Tubbie Cool Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for all the tips and comments on choosing premium channels. I have HBO right now and am thinking about adding another premium channel but just couldn't decide on which one. I, too, recorded a few HD movies from Starz this weekend to my 622. I also have a 500GB external HDD (yup, broke down and gave Charlie the $39.99 club house fee) and that's filling up fast, especially with all the HD contents I've been recording.

Once again, thanks a bunch, fellas!

-Sydney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.