1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stated Recording Time Available Vs. Actual

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Eagles, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eagles

Eagles Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 31, 2003
    Why does the actual recording time available not match what the 622 displays? For instance I currently have about 16 hours of recorded HD programming and the "DVR Events" screen shows a little over 10 hours of HD recording time remaining. What happened to the 3+ hours? This also seems to work in reverse when I delete some programming. If I delete 3 hours worth of HD recording, the available HD recording time will only increase by maybe 2 hours and 15 minutes. I've had this 622 since June 2006. It started out with 30 hours available, but after using a substantial portion of the hard drive, which was within a couple of weeks, it has always been like this through all of the SW updates. Is this a SW related bug?
    There have been numerous occasions when I have been at the edge with remaining record time showing and have wondered if the missing hours would be used or some older recording would be wiped.
    Anybody else see this or have any explanations?

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
  3. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    The 622 displays an approximate time available.. Never exact.. Different types of compression use different amounts of time.

4. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    1 hour of HD recording can fall anywhere between 3900MB and 8200MB (I've seen the entire range) depending on the channel recorded from. That much variation makes it really difficult to provide a very accurate "recording time left" value.

It was much easier with SD content, because the variation wasn't nearly so pronounced.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As others have said... Two things going on here... Different shows take up different amounts of space, and the "space left" indicator is an estimate based on a "most-likely" or average amount of space. Also, I believe the official word is "up to" 30 hours of HD and "up to" 200 hours of SD... this statement is intentionally vague to allow for the difference in space.

I have recorded a show from one channel (MPEG4 compression HD) that was an hour program but only lost 30 minutes from the space... I have recorded another show (MPEG2 HD from OTA) that was an hour but it took slightly more than an hour of space away.

Depending on what kinds of programs you record and the channels involved, you could see substantially more or less than the 30 estimated HD hours.

6. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    Dish needs to add the word "Estimated" or "Approx" to the hours/min listing.

Mark: Since you know the range, what's it based on for HD ?? MPEG2, safe to say, but at what bitrate ?? If they use the 19.2Mb/s number, that means it will report less. If they use a low number, it will say you have more than you really do oftentimes. Then throw MPEG4 encoding into the mix....

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The estimate seems to be on the high end of the scale. So far I've not recorded HD that took up more than an hour of estimate per hour of programming. In my tests local OTA HD takes up the most space ... MPEG4s take up half that.

As long as the estimate isn't wrong by underestimating it I'm happy.

8. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Hall, I don't have any idea what their algorithm is to determine recording time remaining based on available disk space. But like James said, I would guess that it's towards the upper end of the scale, most likely based somewhere around 7 GB/hr or so.

9. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    Heh, that is the safe number to use. They cheat themselves in the process though.... They could probably claim "up to 40 hours of HD recordings *" with the asterisk meaning MPEG4 programming. Of course, no one reads that part and gets pissed when they max out at 32 hours. Dish "loses" when they do that.

It would be interesting, and I've never read about anyone doing it, is to wipe the recordings clean and then record as much MPEG4 programming as it will allow and see what it reads. I'll bet it would go negative, though they may not allow negative numbers to appear.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The number is based on the GB remaining so there will be no negatives.

It has been a while since I tested by recording an hour of each type of source then deleting each, exiting the DVR list and returning to see how many hours and minutes deleting an hour freed up.

99% sure that 30hrs of 1080i OTA would fill the drive ... but then even that bandwidth varies based on source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.