1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Status of HDMI

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by ctsmith, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctsmith

ctsmith New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    In version 1.3 of the excellent review of undocumented HR20 install tips, it is mentioned to avoid HDMI. Is this still an issue with this receiver? Does it also apply to the non-DVR version?

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Avoid HDMI?

In the tips/tricks here?

There is no reason to avoid HDMI...
    HDMI issues have been pretty much resolved for almost all makes/models

There are a few stragglers (and if you happen to have issues, please post it with your make/model of your TV)...

As for the H20 (non-dvr)... there are still some issues, until the next software update completely roles out.

3. racingminnieb

racingminnieb Mentor

Oct 19, 2007
    Hi, I am a Newb here, I have a scenario where HDMI did not work well. The installer came to my house and hooked up the HR20-100 receiver to my Samsung DLP T5687 with component cables. I did not have a 5 LNB dish hooked up at the time. The DVR worked great. After a day or so I hooked up the HDMI cable and removed the component cable. Still no problems. The next day I had the 5 LNB dish installed and was unable to get past the set up screen on the receiver. The installer rechecked all cable connection and found nothing wrong. He determined that it must be a bad receiver. After, he left I decided to reinstall the component cable and try set up again. I was able to complete the setup, however I could not receive several HD channels and one tuner kept cutting out. Once Set up was complete I reinstalled the HDMI cable and removed the component cable. The installer returned the next day and decided to readjust my dish and recheck my connections. After several tries he was unable to fix the problem and promised to return the next day with a new receiver. He arrived with the HR21-700 today, and tried to install it through the HDMI cable. He as unable to get through set up . I suggested that he use the component cables and he was able to complete the setup. He continued to have the same problems with the signal even through the component cable and decided to change out my LNB, and reconfigure several of my wires connected to my multiswitch. Once he reconfigured the switch I received the signal with no problems. We disconnected the component cable and reinstalled the HDMI. We found that the tv does not like to use 480 i resolution through the HDMI. The tv works great on all other resolutions. I have determined through my experience that the set up screen must use 480i and for some reason my tv does not like using this resolution and unfortunately you will have to begin your set up with the component cable installed and then switch it out later. Also, be sure that you set your display up so you are not using 480i. I hope this helps someone else out.

4. cruise350

cruise350 Legend

Dec 24, 2006
    That's not a problem with HDMI it is a Samsung problem. Most of the models do not support the 480i through either HD connection component or HDMI. I have an older rear projection Sammy and I wouldn't see a setup screen unless I used the s-video connection.

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Agreed. You have something goofy elsewhere in your system. HDMI compatibility with early receivers (HDMI 1.1) does not come and go. Either it works or it doesn't and resolution has never been the issue. If HDMI is going to crap out and not give you a picture, it won't on any resolution.

6. flgregg

flgregg New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    +1

I had same problem w/older Sammy that disappeared with new Sony Xbr

7. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    Even the new Samsungs only support 480p and above on the HDMI input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.