1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

status of WSBK

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by marty43, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1 of 20
    marty43

marty43 AllStar

Sep 30, 2005
    Recently I moved to Winter Haven Fl. It is in the Tampa DMA, but I live close to the Eastern edge of the DMA so pick up all Orlando stations OTA.
    Before I moved here I qualified for all superstations. Now I cannot subscribe to WWOR and WSBK, I can get all the others. WWOR is a MY Network affiliate, and I believe WSBK is now an independent station.

I can see my local MY network (WTTA) in Tampa may be blocking WWOR another MY network but can they block an independent WSBK? Strange thing is if WTTA is blocking WSBK and WWOR for syndex reasons why are they not blocking the other "supers".

I actually live within 20 miles of an Orlando CW station and I can subscribe to KTLA, KWGN, and WPIX just fine.

This may be mute point as after the Feb shutdown, will the supers go away?

2. Dec 3, 2008 #2 of 20
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Did you check the availablility on your account with the website just to make sure the CSR was not flaked out?

3. Dec 3, 2008 #3 of 20
    marty43

marty43 AllStar

Sep 30, 2005

tried that I qualify for all WB stations, I do not qualify for WWOR or WSBK

4. Dec 3, 2008 #4 of 20
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, at least you can get SEC sports down there. :)

I still get WSBK for the ACC game of the week.

5. Dec 3, 2008 #5 of 20
    garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Superstation availability is usually determined by your local dma.

6. Dec 3, 2008 #6 of 20
    marty43

marty43 AllStar

Sep 30, 2005
    thats why I liked WSBK also, the ACC sometimes has dual basketball games of the weekends, the northern ACC territory gets a different game than the southern region

7. Dec 3, 2008 #7 of 20
    marty43

marty43 AllStar

Sep 30, 2005
    I think you are right I just ran my sisters address through the dish qualifier and she qualifys for all superstations. She lives in Orlando DMA, but near Ocala so distance from station may come into play there. On qualifer page Dish still refers superstions as WB's and UPN's. Kind of outdated.

8. Dec 3, 2008 #8 of 20
    marty43

marty43 AllStar

Sep 30, 2005
    can't get all of them, when Full court has a SEC team involved, all SEC games in SEC states are blacked out and they say to watch on your local station. But a LSU or Alabama game is not usually available in Florida, locally. Good place to live though with ACC and SEC and with Univ. of S. Florida in Tampa lots of BigEast on tv,

9. Dec 3, 2008 #9 of 20
    dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    WAY outdated since that happened almost 3 years ago:lol:
    http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/The_WB_and_UPN_networks_to_become_the_CW_network

10. alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    So then the answer may be to 'move' to where your sister is, add the Superstations package with WSBK and WWOR, then 'move' back to your local area. Once the tier has been added to your account, when you 'move' back to your area it shouldn't be removed...

11. marty43

marty43 AllStar

Sep 30, 2005
    Before I moved here I had all superstations. When I actually moved here and I called Dish to get my locals, I got Tampa, when I asked if my superstations transferred over the "overseas agent" I talked to said yes but he could not give me WWOR or WSBK. based on my address. I am thinking about dropping them anyway, but was curious why WSBK an independent station should not be available to everyone, they are independent. If they were a CW or MY network station my local MY or CW might block tham, but WSBK is not either of those.

12. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    At one point WSBK was a UPN and went independent when the CW was formed. The block of the channel was in place then and probably never got lifted.

13. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    If a superstation carries a syndicated program a local station bought rights to they can ask Dish to black it out. If a station requests this Dish simply won't offer the superstation.

14. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    If WTOG has anything to to do with it, the station is gone.

15. dishlover2

dishlover2 Legend

Aug 23, 2008
    wsbk comes up as 38 on the vip 612 due to the numbering system on that reciever now I only get channel 38 on channel 236 but not on 8775 or 38 I used to get it that way with the old 110/119 and 61.5 on the second dish with no problem now it could be theyre getting ready to take 8775 out and replace with the hd mirrored channel and remapping to 38 and discontinuing the channel 236 position since that is in standard defintion commentary to come on another thread

what a mess but a blessing to have all programming on 1, 3 or 4 slot dish

Numbering system I'll post how it comes up in terms of locals as the best example

008-00 wgal news 8 nbc hd dt 58 moving back to original analog postion
    015-00 cw 15 dish listing in white when hd and or digital switch takes effect 15.1 stays on channel 23 position
    021-00 whp cbs 21 moves from 4 back to 21 as they put it to bring it in easier 4 is a hard signal to bring in
    027-00 whtm abc 27 dt 10 that stays as well

Anyway to sum it up an error message comes up for tv 38 as they call themselves on 236 just fine but 38 8775 same scenario

16. dishlover2

dishlover2 Legend

Aug 23, 2008

true when syndex came about in january of 1990

e.g wwor when a local station in a given market carries a duplicate program to avoid trouble with the law forcing the blackout here in the old suburban now comcast territory here they dropped wwor on channel 35 here at the time because I believe programming in question wwor must have carried programs not neccesarily at the same time as for example wpmt i think were the one that carried ricky lake one time at 4 as an example and I know for a fact wwor9 carried ricky lake at 5 but outside of the tristate nyc dma emi service ran emergency the only authentic program not blacked out was their 10pm news just like you can see wgn9 news at 9 at ten on wgn american wgn chicago is cbs tribunes cw flagship station for the chicago dma.

17. dishlover2

dishlover2 Legend

Aug 23, 2008
    Charlie I pray for those eligible for the superstations id love to see them all of them in hd I recognize the fact that not everyone would want 5 extra superstation as part of the americas top whatever like the original top 60 before that became the 100 cd not counting channels 919-946

simply put Id love to see them being part of the everything pak and the complete 20 dollar hd package

18. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    This is so hard to read. Why are you so against using periods?:mad:

19. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Dishlover2 - do you have some issue with using proper punctuation ? Your posts are extremely difficult to read (although at least you are spelling correctly) .

20. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    This may very well be what's happening in this situation, since WSBK carries several major syndicated shows, such as Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, and Dr. Phil. However, I've never had a problem getting any of the SuperStations living in the Minneapolis, Cedar Rapids, and now Duluth markets.