1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steps from standard to SWM setup?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GenTso, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Aug 7, 2009 #1 of 21
    GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    What are the steps to go from a standard setup to SWM? Just switching out the LNB and adding the powered multiswitch?

Basically, at the present time I have four drops off the multiswitch, two feeding the HR23 in the living room, another feeding the HR21 in my office and another feeding a D11 in the bedroom.

Stop ... can you figure out where my problem is?

I just upgraded to a second HD DVR for a new TV in the office. It was being fed to a D11, but the new TV required an upgrade to HD. I decided to go with a DVR since I already had one (actually, the HR21 was in the living room, but I ordered a HR23 online and moved it to the living room and the HR21 to the office).

This isn't really a dealbreaker and I'm not even sure I will change to a SWM setup. It's the powered multiswitch part and changing the LNB that has me a little frightened of messing with it. I just would rather take full advantage of having both DVRs, especially if and when DLBs go into effect. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, this is an installation of just over a year old so all the wiring in place is OK. Just curious to the amount of expertise, time and cost of changing setups. I've built computers in the past so I think I'm a little more knowledgeable with electronics than your average joe.

Thanks

2. Aug 7, 2009 #2 of 21
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you're going to do this yourself, get a SWMLNB and use one coax from the dish to the "power inserter" [there is no multiswitch] and then use a 4-way splitter to feed one cable to each location. Connect only one coax to the SAT #1 input and REMOVE any BBCs connected to the receivers.
    Fairly simply to do, "but" make sure you don't connect the PI output to any receivers or they'll go "up in smoke". :eek2:

Power up the SWM and then reset each receiver and "you should be good" to go.

3. Aug 7, 2009 #3 of 21
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    The D11 is not compatible with a SWMLNB. You would have to get either a D12 or a SWM8 switch and run the D11 from the legacy ports.

4. Aug 7, 2009 #4 of 21
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You're right but:
    "It was being fed to a D11, but the new TV required an upgrade to HD. I decided to go with a DVR "
    sounds like this was [or will be] replaced.

5. Aug 7, 2009 #5 of 21
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It sounds like the new TV went in the office and the bedroom still has (or just got) the D11.

There seems to be a big problem with chronology in the setup information that we've been given.

6. Aug 7, 2009 #6 of 21
    mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The following document helped me make the switch (the wiring layout in Figure 11 was exactly what I needed). Found a good deal on the SWM LNB and power inserter on e-bay.

DBSTalk First Look - SWM ODU LNB

:)

7. Aug 7, 2009 #7 of 21
    bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    You could use an SWM-8 multiswitch if you want to keep the D11. It would need all four lines from the current LNB, but only two lines coming out. One goes straight to the D11 (from the "legacy" output) and the other goes to the splitter as mentioned above.

A SWM LNB is truly a single-wire setup, but you'll need to replace the D11 then.

EDIT: Sorry, Mertzen already said this.

8. Aug 7, 2009 #8 of 21
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
  9. Aug 7, 2009 #9 of 21
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Actually, if he already has a multiswitch in the set up, the SWM-8 would be an easy changeover. Replace the current multiswitch with the SWM-8. Hook the HR21 and HR23lines from the old multiswitch to outputs 1 and 2 of the SWM-8. Remove the extra HR23 cable. Hook the D11 to the legacy output. Place power inserter inside to cable that is attached to output 1, assuming this cable is at least 15' long. Connect a cable between power inserter and that DVR. Power everything up (in sequence).

It's almost plug and play.

10. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    Just to clear up, I currently have three receivers. I'm not sure why I included all that information ... I think I was just trying to explain why I was looking to make a switch to SWM. Basically I'm trying to get full function out of the HR21 I moved to the office after replacing it with a HR23 in the living room. If it wasn't clear earlier:

1 - HR23 (compatible w/SWM) Living Room
    2 - HR21 (compatible) Office
    3 - D11 (incompatible) Bedroom

Oddly enough, D* didn't even want the spare D11 back (the one I replaced with the HR21). After I activated the HR23, they said they'd send me a return box. It never came so I called them this week to make sure I wasn't charged. Th guy I spoke with said they might not want it back, just keep it around in case it shows up on the bill, but he didn't think it would.

Thanks for the help.

11. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    That's incredibly easy! So basically all I'd need is the SWM-8 (with PI) and LNB. Use the extra run (previously used for HR23 DVR) for the PI and plug the D11 run into the legacy port. I know I just repeated you, but I wanted to make sure I understood the concept.

I'm sure this is answered in one of the threads linked to, which I'll comb through before doing this, but what is the purpose of ensuring that the run for the PI is at least 15'? This isn't really an issue since the run is probably about 30', but what's the point of the 15-foot minimum?

12. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    No need for a new LNB. Your current LNB will work with the SWM-8.

(The SWM LNB performs the same function as the SWM-8. You would use one or the other.)

13. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    Less work and cost! Even better.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    SWM8 normally costs more than the SWMLNB + splitter, which is why I went that way.

15. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    As said previously SWM-8 is your candidate. Not only will you not have to mess with the dish, but with a SWM-8 you will still be able to use your D11 utilizing one of the three legacy ports (if you choose). The best benefit to most is that the SWM-8 is expandable to more than 8 SWM tuners -- the SWMLnb is not. You can also find one really cheap nowadays...

16. GenTso

GenTso Legend

Aug 26, 2008
    Can you define cheap so I have some reference?

Also, where is the best place to get them? I would guess solidsignal, but is there anyplace else like eBay? I got the HR23 from a dealer off Amazon for a pretty good price (same price it would have cost to get an H21 shipped from D*, basically)

17. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Got a SWM LNB off eBay for $39 shipped including a 4 port and 8 port splitter. Simple LNB swap however it will be the last time I ever climb my roof. Too old for that stuff. Just check sellers feedback before purchasing.

18. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I don't condone purchasing from any specific location, but you can get SWM8's on the auction sites for around $50-$80 nowadays. Just do your due diligence in researching the seller and be aware that they probably "fell off a truck..." Also make sure they include the power inserter as some auctions are just for the SWM8 themselves.

19. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I bought mine off of eBay and it works fine and has for 8 months now. I did notice, but never followed up on it, that the seller had removed the serial number sticker from both the SWM-8 module and the box it came in. Kind of strange but he continues to sell them without any negatives so go figure. I guess if I'd known that before I bought from him I might have gone through one of the regular Internet resellers. Of course, I knew from day one that I was doing this on my own and it wouldn't be supported by DirecTV if I were to have a problem with the module or PI.

20. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The serial number must have come loose when it fell off the truck :D