1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stereo code for yamaha 5740

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ww874, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ww874

ww874 New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    hi anyone know the code for a yamaha 5740 stereo. the guide says there are 9 possible but only shows 6

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Try code 30176 which seems to work for most Yamaha's.

3. ww874

ww874 New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    thanks but i tried that one with no luck

4. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    The code to use is 30176, but the power key won't turn on & off the receiver not with yamaha use of two-key power scheme. And with lone power key on the white remote one of the commands will always be missing.

The volume keys never work initially with any audio code, not until you do the following. First there HAS to be a tv code programmed to the tv device key, if not then the volume keys won't work. Then:

1. av1 or av2 whichever has code 30176
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 9 9 3
    4. press VOL DOWN

If you wish the yamaha volume in all devices instead of the tv volume, do the following instead:

1. av1 or av2
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 9 9 3
    4. press SELECT

5. ww874

ww874 New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    thanks so much that worked

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have a 5940 and that code did not work. No worries though.

7. bubbers44

bubbers44 Legend

Jan 23, 2007
    Edmund, thanks for the possible answer to my problem. I have a Yamaha 661 and have tried for months to get the volume control on remote of HR20 to control it but have failed dozens of times. I will, now that I have my new Sony TV , first program the TV. Who would have ever thought of programming a TV you don't need programmed so you can program a Stereo that you do need to work on volume? I have a Harmony universal to turn everything on with one touch but the HR20 remote sometimes works better for special functions but then the commercial comes on and you have no volume control on that remote to reduce the volume. Somehow the Harmony knows how to both turn the Yamaha on and off but the HR20 remote can't, so the Harmony is primary to keep thing fairly simple.

8. bubbers44

bubbers44 Legend

Jan 23, 2007
    After several attempts using about the 4th Yamaha code on the list that was the only one showing any indication using DTV's test, I finally used your code, the first one, and after the TV was activated using your procedure my HR20 now controls the volume of my Yamaha 661. Thanks a million. I doubt either Yamaha or DTV understand this problem. Edmund, you are the one. Wish we could pass this on to other Yamaha owners.

9. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    There have been a few Yamaha threads in the past on this so it comes up from time to time. Frankly the same issue is with any brand A/V receiver, must program a TV first (any TV) and then you can do the receiver.

As for on/off, the Yamaha's have descrete on and off codes (I have a 5960). What this means is that the remote code for on is *different* then the remote code for off. Thus you can't program both to the same button on the DirecTV remotes. Your Harmony is a universal remote with a lot more power and it can handle these types of things via different buttons/macros and such. No such luck on a "dumb" universal remote which comes with DirecTV receivers.

I rarely use the DirecTV remote (using an MX-700 instead) but I do use it during Sunday Ticket for the colored buttons. Thus I needed to program in the volume as well.

10. Big6Dad

Big6Dad Mentor

Feb 7, 2007
    Thanks Edmund!!!! I have tried for what seems like forever to get the volume control to work for my Yamaha. After reading your post and trying it, it now works like a charm. Thanks for taking the time to post this information.....

11. dkomisar

dkomisar New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Will this code and instruction also work the volume for an YSP-1100 ?

12. GordonT

GordonT Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    Is 30176 the code to turn the Yamaha off? If so what is the code to turn the Yamaha on? I figure I will either:
    1. Program the remote to turn the Yamaha on, since that will allow me to turn on the Yamaha, the TV and the HR-20 and control the volume of the Yamaha with the Directv remote. The only time I will need to use the Yamaha remote is to turn it off at the end of the day.
    2. Program the AV1 function to turn on the Yamaha and control the volume and use the AV2 function to turn the Yamaha off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.