1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereo Sound on Dish Network?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by PhilBiker, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBiker

PhilBiker New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Is there stereo sound on Dish Network channels? I have my Dish PVR 522 hooked into my prologic system and everything collapses to the center for every channel, even the music channels and HBO. Is everything just broadcast in mono?

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Depends on the channel and the program it is showing, also how are you connecting it up ?

But yes - most movies are shown in at least stereo, talking head shows are usually mono (except for the music), your music channels should be stereo. Some of the headliner premium movie channels and some of the PPV are shown in DD5.1 . Your locals - depends on what they are doing - I seen it here that some stations are actually STILL broadcasting in MONO..

You might turn off your prologic processing and see if you're getting stereo first.

I've often noticed the above on my system, whether I use the analog inputs from my DVR 510 through my TV to the A/V receiver, or using the TOSLINK connection directly from DVR to the receiver (this uses the PCM mode on your DVR).

3. PhilBiker

PhilBiker New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    I am using left/right stereo analog output. I get no stereo sound ever on any station. Prologic always collapses to the center channel even on stuff like "The Sopranos" where I believe there should be stereo sound. Turning prologic off gives me the same signal through both speakers 100% of the time for every station.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Is your TV doing something , or is your DVR522 hooked directly to the A/V receiver ?

Is this the main channel or TV2 ?

IS that Prologic 2 or prologic 1 ?

Make sure you are connecting right to right and left to left.

Or, you may just have a defective DVR / A/V receiver.

5. PhilBiker

PhilBiker New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    DVR hooked directly to the a/v receiver.
    Both. TV1 is hooked L/R analog to an A/v receiver in my bedroom. TV2 is hooked through RF to a HiFi VCR in the basement, which is hooked into another A/V receiver. I never get stereo on any channel on either receiver. And in the basement I've got in-ceiling speakers over the pool table, I'd love to use the music channels but they don't sound so good in mono.
    I can't imagine how this makes any difference. It's Dolby Prologic from a Dolby Digital receiver. No Prologic II.
    I am in both places.
    I suppose that's possible, both A/V receivers work great on every other input so I don't think either A/V Recevier is the problem.

6. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Have you tried turning off the Pro-Logic processing? Some Pro-Logic receivers tend to route the audio oddly (e.g. to the center channel) if they're processing a simple stereo signal. That was always my experience with my old Pro-Logic processor; it sounded hollow and odd if I didn't turn off Pro-Logic when watching a normal two-channel broadcast.

7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    With prologic off I get the same sound out of both speakers in "stereo". Really just dual mono.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    How is your Dish receiver configured?

There is usually, on the stereo receivers, a setting for:

PCM audio
    Dolby digital
    PCM and Dolby digital

If you are only set for PCM, then you won't get Dolby... and vice-versa. Barring bugs in the receiver you have, I would think you'd use the "both" setting so that stereo channels are stereo and others are in PCM.

9. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    He's using the analog outputs, so these settings will not matter.

Dolby ProLogic is an older form of Dolby that predates Dolby 5.1. It sounds like there may be a problem with the cables (perhaps they are out of phase) Have you tried a different set of RCA cables?

10. albert71292

albert71292 Mentor

Aug 19, 2005
    At least 90% of the Dish Network channels I watch are definitely in stereo, like History, Discovery, TV Land (mainly only noticable during commercials since most of their shows were recorded in mono originally), TCM, AMC, Science Channel, even the news channels (again only noticable during commercials).

I have my 301 receiver audio outs connected to the audio input of my TV, and the audio outs of my TV connected to my RCA brand Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver. I get definite stereo separation in my left/right front speakers.

11. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    One reason I switched to E* in 1996 was that I was paying a fortune to the cable company for HBO and SHO but not getting stereo. Cable company was just too cheap to upgrade their satellite receiving equipment for stereo and they admitted it. Even then E* had stereo on many channels. Originally I used the analog outputs directly to the TV audio inputs. Later when DD 5.1 became available from the 6000 receiver I changed to toslink through an A/V receiver and external speakers. Now with the 622 I even get stereo on TV2 via the RF output. If he's not getting stereo it has to be a problem with his equipment.

12. PhilBiker

PhilBiker New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    So it appears my receiver is defective or improperly configured. I was hoping the latter because I really want to fix the problem without another round of returning the receiver to Dish. I guess the only thing I can do is call Dish tech support and try to get a hardware fix. I'll try other L/R stereo cables just for grins, but since I get no stereo out of either TV output I don't think it's the cables.

Thanks everyone for the input. I thought that I should be getting stereo sound. I can hook this up digitally to the receiver for testing purposes. However, my Dolby Digital receiver only has two digital inputs, and I use one for DVD and the other for my local OTA HDTV box. Since Dish broadcasts so little in 5.1 I've never considered it important to connect Dolby Digital. Analog stereo prologic is fine for Dish.

13. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    I'd say it sure sounds like you have the 522 set to output mono sound. Not sure if that's possible, but it sure sounds like it.

(just checked the 522 manual, it mentions using the right output for mono tv's, in case you notice different behavior than i mention here)
    Try this: Pull the Right RCA cable for the main rcvr, i suspect you'll still be getting mono sound, and if you put the rcvr in non D-PL mode, mono in should still fill both right and left. (usually left channels carry mono signals).
    After this, pull the left cable and test with just the right. Do you get any sound at all?

Let us know which, I think this will go a long way to helping eliminate some possibilities.

14. PhilBiker

PhilBiker New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    That's what it appears like to me as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.