1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Steve Jobs Resigns

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by spartanstew, Aug 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/08/24/steve-jobs-resigns-as-apple-ceo/

August 24, 2011–To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    It is sad news to hear about Mr. Jobs.

It would seem this is quite serious this time, in comparison to to his last medical leave.

He is a proven visionary and I respect him for that, as well as his contributions on many charitable fronts.

May he enjoy his life away from the corporate clatter.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    It looks like he won't be too far away. He is expected be Chairman of the Board.

4. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Chairman of the Board doesn't mean much (although sometimes it might). Our Chairman participates in a phone call twice per year.

5. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Former Apple exec Guy Kawasaki made this comment to The New York Times today:

6. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    It's sad but no surprise. Honestly I think the company will continue to thrive.

7. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    For the immediate future, I suspect this has a bunch of potential for good for Apple. This might free Jobs up to be even more creative and visionary without the day to day grind of being CEO.

That said, it is sad that presumably it is his health that is dragging him down.

Cheers,
    Tom

8. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Can't remember that I ever really had sad weepy thoughts about hearing of any CEO change, but this one really made be sad to see with the first tweet earlier today. I'm assuming it's health related.

I'm fairly new to the i* world, loving the iPad2, and recently (finally!) switching from Blackberry to iPhone4, but have been watching from a distance for a looooong time.

Whether you love him or hate him, Steve Jobs has certainly changed the world.

First usable graphical UI for the mainstream, digital music, the coolest phones ever, and lately finally a real deployment of tablet computing.

All of the above weren't necessarily invented by Steve/Apple, but he found a way to have each get great market adoption, worldwide.

Hopefully he'll still be around for awhile, because he has indeed made a difference, whether you love him, or not.

Sad day.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not sure that any one employee has meant so much to a company in the modern age.

Jobs was co-founder of Apple... and his ousting certainly didn't help their cause... meanwhile he went on to other successful endeavors on his own and was asked back to help revive a struggling Apple in the 1990s.

They have been on the fast track straight up ever since. He is more than just an echo of a time past or a founder lingering around... he might be the soul of Apple.

For his health, I wish him well... but this doesn't seem like good news as I can't imagine him stepping away unless he absolutely had to...

I agree the company will be ok for now... but unless they have some smart people who have paid attention to Jobs in recent years, I fear they might rest on their laurels and fall back as they did the last time he wasn't around to innovate.

10. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm sure the next 2-3 years of products are already in the pipeline, so it should be business as usual for Apple.

I think the real test will be 5 years down the road. Without someone like Jobs instigating the competition to set the bar higher, the whole industry could stagnate. I'm hopeful someone else can step-up as the next great innovator. Google's Page is brilliant, but at heart, he's a "computer guy", IMHO. In my mind, Jobs is a "consumer appliance" guy. For better or worse, I think that's always been the difference between Apple and the competition.

11. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Mrs. Fluffybear had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Jobs through her work (just prior to the release of Jaguar) and said that he is a very interesting person to have a conversation with though he is kind of foul-mouthed.

12. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Somehow I think Jobs may be a little different compared with your typical Chairman. ;)

That being said, I work for a family run business where the founder is considered somewhat of a legend in the industry and even though he is still around (like a Chairman might be) it's just not the same. Those innovative founders seem to have a unique way of thinking about the business and things just feel "different" when they're not involved in day-to-day operations.

Hopefully enough of Jobs has rubbed off on Apple and someone can step up to continue with the incredible amount of innovation they have shown over the years.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm hoping the photo out on the Net isn't real. Please be photoshopped.

14. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Not if he's dying.

15. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yeah, that does throw a wrench on the gears doesn't it...

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Just saw a story that Jobs' father wants to meet him, though he says Steve would need to initiate contact, as he's afraid that it would be seen as wanting part of the fortune. For those that don't know, Steve was adopted and his father is Syrian. I hadn't realized they never had contact, he met his sister (Mona Simpson) when he was in his 20s.

17. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    These kinds of situations always have a big "YMMV" depending upon the reason for the initial separation.

I've known of cases where the father abandoned the family... and in such a case, I can't blame a kid for growing up in a loving adoptive family and not having an interest in his biological parent by then.

I know little of the situation here... but I would say I find it odd for the father to make a statement like that when apparently the son hasn't had contact or shown interest in doing so... it's like an attempt to put pressure on the son somehow.

18. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Being adopted myself, I have no trouble in seeing how an absent father might at least try one more time to have SOME kind of contact as Jobs is likely still very ill.

Staying away because you're afraid of what people might think sounds completely plausible to me.

19. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I guess my feeling would be different depending on whether a reporter sought him out and asked OR he sought out a reporter to go public.

IF the reporter sought him, then it's a last attempt that might be sincere... but if he sought the reporter, I might view it more as an attempt to pressure his son.

Of course not knowing the full story or the family dynamic, rush judgments by outsiders like me might be way off base.