1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve Jobs to take another medical leave

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Jan 17, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Oh, oh, this is not good. From several sources:

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm sure it it's not a signal of the apocalypse, but yes I agree that a lot of the "coolness" of Apple is tied up in the cult of Steve.

3. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I don't know about that. I think most people buying iPhones and iPads probably don't know much if anything about who is running Apple. Those products are now mainstream.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Maybe so, maybe not. I don't have hard data either way, but my gut tells me that Mr. Jobs has a pretty high profile and that people know of his association with Apple in some way.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Given all his health problems (pancreatic cancer and liver transplant) and the fact that the stock market is closed today and this news will mix in with Apple's quarterly report tomorrow. From Bloomberg:
    And, of course, the analysts are already at it. From the LA Times:
    Frankly, I don't see how this can reflect anything but bad news for him personally. He'll only be 56 in February, but his body has been through some pretty heavy medical stuff.

6. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Stock is falling!

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Bad news for Jobs... unless it is being reported completely accurately, and is just taking a rest from the stress on his body. One would expect him to have more problems the rest of his life, though not necessarily serious ones.

The bad news for Apple would come later, if this becomes an increasing problem where he needed more time away and was less able to guide the company.

It is hard to argue that Jobs isn't HUGE for the success of Apple. Not the "cult of Jobs" or anything... but the business-sense and creativity that clearly he has added initially with the founding of Apple and then his return to the company years later when they really needed him.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There are two types of Apple customers. The ones that will wait in line and buy almost anything they come out with. I joke sometimes that Jobs could announce the iBox for $699, which is just an aesthetically designed empty box, and there would be a line on launch day.

The other is the mainstream customer. I handle phones at work, and I've got users with iPhones that just use them for Outlook synching and a phone. I have a user who's had one since at least the 3G and last month asked me "What's iTunes?" when I suggested he update his OS. Another had his for two years before he realized it had iPod functionality.

The question is, would the second group (not necessarily as bad as my examples, but regular people) buy Apple products without the first group? Apple certainly did well under Tim Cook's time while Steve was out, but that was only two quarters.

9. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I'm not one to stand in line for an apple product. In fact, I hate buying apple products, because they are so high dollar. Millions of people in line or not, I just plain don't care for the way PCs operate, and will go out of my way to come home and use a mac if I need to do something other than send a quick email.