1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steven Spielberg,Stephen King team on 'Under the Dome'

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Steve615, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    From Variety:

Steven Spielberg and Stephen King are joining forces to develop a limited series based on Mr. King's recently released supernatural thriller,titled Under the Dome.

DreamWorks TV has optioned the book and is looking to set it up as an event series,likely for cable.

Spielberg and King have worked together in the past,developing a screen adaptation of King's 1984 novel The Talisman,on which Spielberg has had the option for more than 20 years.

That project has been developed as a feature,and it came close to being done as a mini-series on TNT a few years ago until it was tabled for budgetary reasons.

More info at the following link.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011629.html?categoryid=10&cs=1

2. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    1/2 way into the book now and it's good -- I can see this series turning out quite well. :up:

3. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    Stephen King has said HBO will be doing the miniseries.

4. jhollan2

jhollan2 Godfather

Aug 31, 2006
    Still working on that tome! Sounds like a great HBO project!

5. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/...ings-best-selling-novel-814213/20121129cbs03/

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Is that the 'iron' dome?

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Looking forward to this.

8. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Same here

9. heathramos

heathramos Legend

Dec 19, 2005
    Too bad they didn't make a movie based off of the Talisman. I remember reading that a long time ago.

10. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The Talisman is my favorite book of all time and I've been patiently waiting for the Movie version for every one of those 20 years.

11. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    That's one of my favorite books as well, but I'm not sure a stand-alone movie could ever do it justice....there's just too much "story" to fit in the obligatory 130-180 minute attention limit. If it were given the budget, this could be an outstanding mini-mega series, where each episode covers a time frame, one in "this world" followed by one in "that world". (If you've read the book you'll know what I mean, if you haven't, I don't want to give too much of a spoiler)

12. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    movie = live action filming of any type.

13. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Ah, gotcha. :)

14. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    This is just an old Twilight Zone plot.

15. altidude

altidude AllStar

Jan 13, 2010
    lotta dead birds

16. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Spielberg has had mixed results on TV. Some of this shows have been fairly expensive failures, so hopefully he has more luck this time. Something more like 4400 and less like Earth 2 or SeaQuest.

17. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Is it? I can think of certain elements it shares with certain "Twilight Zone" episodes, but can't think of any episode that has the same plot.

The one that actually seems most similar is "It's a Good Life," which also involves a town cut off from the rest of the world -- but that's due to Billy Mumy and his supernatural powers, not due to an impenetrable dome that mysteriously appears. Presumably no one's going to get wished into the cornfield or turned into a giant jack-in-the-box in the "Under the Dome" miniseries.

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's been a while, but I think the problems with Seaquest were mainly due to NBC demands on a change in direction in season 2. Storywise, I think it was better in the first season. But also not sure really how much Spielberg had to do with it really.

19. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Well "The Dome" is exactly like the film "The Bubble" (aka "The Fantastic Invasion of Planet Earth" in 3D). It's a clone of it. And has many similarities to the Twilight Zone's "Stopover in a Quiet Town" and of course "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street".

Spielberg gets very testy when confronted with his stealing stuff. I had a big argument with him once when he wanted to stick sunglasses that could see aliens into a Dreamworks videogame. I said, "Great, just like "They Live" with Roddy Piper!" He goes, "No, they didn't have those in They Live. This is an original idea!" He got very bent out of shape about it. He must be original at all times. In his own mind.

20. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    Not really, but the effect is similar. The Twilight Zone often featured stories exploring how normal people woudl react in extraordinary situations. That's what King does well in many of his novels including "The Dome."

The dome in King's novel is a plot device to isolate the people and see how they react. It could have been a space ship, nuclear war, or other device that's been used in many other novels, movies, and TV shows. What it is, why its there, who created it, etc. aren't really important.

-- Roger