1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

still cant get mrv to work

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by drew64, Jul 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    Ok still cant get my unsupported MRV to work since i changed routers. I have an apple airport extreme. My dvrs are hooked to the network wirelessly thru cisco WGA600N and the WAP610n. i originally thought the WAP610n was defective because it kept dropping the wireless signal. I switched the adapters to different dvrs to see if that would make a difference and it did. So I have been able to connect to the internet using either adapter on either dvr but even though the network says connected the dvr do not see wach other. I have tried different IP addresses and dns servers. The sub net on both is the same. What do i need to do to get the dvrs to see each other. I did reset the dvrs too. I am thinking of going powerline at this time.

2. rob316

rob316 Legend

Jun 29, 2008
    What security settings do you have set on the route WPA/WEP? Try with no security see if the DVR's see each other and go from there. I also have the WGA600, make sure it set to see G routers or set to dual mode, g/n.

3. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    I have the router set to wpa2. I dont remember what the security is on the older adapter but the new one is set to wpa2 as well. I did try no security at once with no effect but will try it again.

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    go deca or wired.
    very simple.

5. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Im wired it works flawless

6. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    well my ethernet is in my loft not too close to my dvrs

7. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    I just swapped my system over to SWM, so I believe I now need DECA for MRV. Can I simply purchase the parts and install it myself or do I have to call D* first?

8. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire

You can purchase DECA's as well as anything else you need but you will still have to call DTV to get them to flag your account with the unsupported option.

If you call DTV and order the whole home DVR service you may get a free HD-DVR, or a free HD box and who know what else they may give you. It's worth the call to see what you can get for $149.00:)

With the right installer, you can't go wrong. I would let DTV do it and pay the money.

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I agree;

Not necessarily urging you to hoist the white flag on your problem and please forgive any implied insensitivity in case your present finances are not permitting, but why don't you save yourself the networking headaches and go with a DECA install?

10. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Please tell me you have already called D* to authorize your system for unsupported MRV...

If your account isn't authorized for MRV you won't see the DVR's.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes, Whole Home DVR Service is $3/month now and if it's not enabled on your account, then it will never work. The Beta ended in May.

That being said, Wireless will undoubtedly prove to be a significantly less reliable solution than DECA (or even wired Ethernet). You can get DECA without having an Internet connection, but if you want Video on Demand and other Internet based tools, then a coax line to your loft would work great. If that already exists, then you are almost there already. Give DIRECTV a call and ask them to install the whole home solution and include the Internet Connection Kit. This will be the best solution in the long run.

12. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Check for a new version of firmware and do a hard reset. Those are the two biggest things I've found that solve the random disconnect issues of wireless.

13. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    DECAs and splitters can be purchased on line, but depening on the number of DECAs required, it may be cheaper to have DTV do it.

14. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    The wireless has worked fine in the beta version. Yes I had it authorized and it does say authorized on the multiroom menu just cant find dvr. This happened when i switched routers from belkin n1 vision to an apple airport extreme. I can get all my computers and mt 2 bluray palyers to connect to network and internet. I have my downstairs dvr connected to internet but even though it says connected to network dvrs still not seen. Have tried changing ip address and dns on both dvrs. Subnet is same at 255.... Should the DNS be same on both dvrs. I even tried to match all settings except kept IP one off from one another. When i go into the router logs it appears that there is a deauthentacate on the handshake. I will try to drop to no security for a while and see if that works. I still have the other router that can be set as an access point but i have tried plugging it into the back of the apple and cant get it to work. Is that the way it should be set up.

15. tjbtexas

tjbtexas Cool Member

Nov 3, 2006
    I know that when I was working with the early versions of MRV and I was using Wireless, I had to manually go in and setup port forwarding for the the 2 network services ports. (I know people have said that network services does not matter, but all I can say is that I had to do this for the DVRs to see each other)

Deca Purchase: I already had SWM and purchased the DECA units from SS. one for each DVR and one w/ PI for the internet. After installing, called DTV and they activiated and flagged my Account as MRV "SUPPORTED"

Todd :>)

16. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OK .. You're problem is likely that the existing wireless adapters no longer know how to talk to your wireless router. You need to reconfigure each wireless adapter again.

Now, I'll suggest again that if you were using DECA (even if you use wireless for the Internet connection), your reliability would be greatly improved. As it is now, you have a "down" situation because of networking changes made on your end. Also, while you may have had some success with wireless, DECA performance will be better.

17. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    I agree. Bite the bullet and pay DTV to do the install. That's what I did and ended up getting all new hardware. A new dish and LNBs. New HR-22 and a new HR-24. YMMV but you will have a supported and working system. Not to mention less stress in your life and lower blood pressure.:grin:

After the install and MRV working I made my own wireless connection to the internet. VOD works fine but right now I have no interest in TVapps so I haven't tried that.

If you do decide to have DTV do it make sure you tell them you want a wireless internet connection as part of the install so it will show on the installers work order and have a wireless internet adapter already configured and tested to work with your wireless router so the installer can just hook it up.

18. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    So what is needed with deca in respect to wiring. Do i need to have wires running up to my bedroom dvr. I have a cable coax near that tv now. I can deal with my dvrs and dont need new ones. still watching shows recorded to them.

19. ASG82

ASG82 Mentor

Jul 10, 2010
    Just a question that I think is related to this topic:

I'm getting MRV installed this week. If I cancel that later, will the internet part still work for on demand?

20. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, because Directv will just turn off MRV.

I installed DECA/SWiM for MRV after having a near Flawless Experience using my LAN Network and it works so much Better and Faster without any Glitches that I am very happy that I went that direction even though it took awhile to get it to work properly because the installer had a couple of things wired incorrectly.

I only paid $57 for my Whole Home DVR Service Hookup including a new LNB, a SWiM Power Inserter, a SWM16 Module and two eight Port Splitters along with the DECA Adapters so I was very pleased with the Price and the Performance after I finally tweaked it myself.