1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still more gay-baiting from "oh-so-tolerant" Democrats

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Lyle_JP, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, I'm sure you all remember when we discussed the "gay commercial" in Montana where the Democrat tried to appeal to homophobes in the state. If not, you can read it here.

Now, Strom Thurmond's Senate seat is up for grabs in South Carolina, and Democrat candidate Alex Sanders is not above exploiting homophobia if it gets him votes. After his Republican opponent Lindsey Graham received a televised endorsement from former NY Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Sanders said of Giuliani, "He's an ultra-liberal. His wife kicked him out and he moved in with two gay men and a Shih Tzu. Is that South Carolina values? I don't think so."

Of course, there is no peep from this nation's liberal elite press about these outrageous and politically incorrect comments. It only ran in the South Carolina paper The State. Why? Because these comments are from one of their own. Can you imagine if it had been a Republican saying that? it would be above the fold in the New York Times and every gay rights group in the country would be burning him in effigy right now.

It must be nice for the Democrats to have an entirely complicit national media machine on their side. It's the same media machine that continues to gloss over the fact that the only Klansman currently serving in the US Senate is a Democrat, Robert Byrd; a man who passionately fought on the Senate floor against integrating the US military ("I will never fight with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.") and who has used the dreaded N-word in public as recently as two years ago ("There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time. I'm gonna use that word."). And let's not forget California Lieutenant Governor Cruz Bustamante, who actually used the N-word in a speech to a local chapter of the NAACP, which immediately cause a third of those attending the speech to walk out. The story, of course, was buried around page nine in the local papers the next day and received no national attention. His apology was immediately accepted with grace by the NAACP.

Ah, the perks of being a member of the "politically correct" party. You can be as politically incorrect as you want with no consequences. :shrug:

-Lyle J.P.

2. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Why pin this on the whole Democaratic party. Its just a small local race in a small (population) state... I don't think most Democratic members would support this kind of underhanded ads.

Pick two conservative states and blame the whole party. Really nice. :rolleyes:

3. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Only if it meant picking up a vote or two. :rolleyes:

4. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    I would not be so hard on the Democrat party if it weren't for two things:

1. The Democrat Party is the party that claims that homophobia and racism are the sole domain of the Republican Party, and turn their heads and pretend they hear nothing when members of their own party engage in insensitive behavior.

2. The media gives Democrats a free pass and crucifies Republicans for such incidents.

My point was that these two "isolated incidents" are examples of the giant hypocrisies and double-standards that are party-wide. Where are the Democrats chastising their own for this? Nowhere.

Also, we're not just talking about "a small local race", we're talking about control of the US Senate.

-Lyle J.P.

5. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Two words: Willie Horton

6. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Horton? Done by the Democrats. The conveniently forgotten fact of that is that it was one of Dukakis' Democrat opponents in the PRIMARIES that brought that up.

Believe me, I remember it well (working in Massachusetts for the last 20 years).

7. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    He knows, he was just showing its not JUST Democrats...

8. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002

It was Al Gore.

9. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    No, not just Democrats, but lately dirty tricks and hypocracy is one area where they do have a very strong majority. And this is with the media digging as deep as possible to catch the Republicans in similar acts.

10. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    A quick search at http://news.google.com shows hundreds of articles that all are critical (as they should) of the Democratic Party of Montana. I don't think anyone has gotten a "free pass" over this.

Examples of Democrats unhappy with Montana...

http://www.stonewalldemocrats.org/press/press2002-30.htm

11. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Hey when it rains it pours.... This is just a pendulum that swings back and forth. IMO this isn't anything new, just a continuation of politics in this country...

12. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Both sides love nothing more than than to find dirt on the other. Even if it is politically incorrect to use the dirt, they will use it. If they think implying someone is gay will get them more votes they will use it but deny that they were truely gay bashing. This way they will get the message out and avoid direct involvement.

13. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Gee, I wonder why the Stonewall Democrats would be unhappy about gay baiting tactics. I don't see anyone else in the story other than a vague reference.

14. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Obviously the Republicans are running much cleaner ads in Florida than what they are running in western Iowa and Eastern Nebraska. Around here they are all wallowing as deep in the mud as they can. What is really funny is when the opponents ads run back to back with their "says you," "no way," "yes, way," "so there," "and so's your mother," slander.

15. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/racine/oct02/91511.asp

16. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    I was hoping someone would discuss that. I think what we have here is Democratic leadership ducking the issue. Its gone away for the most part and I believe they ignored it because its not a large state. Now if this was New York, California or some other large state with lots of media, then I think you'd see distancing. I think leadership is looking at this as "no harm, no foul" which I believe is chicken of them and shows no class IMO. But they are just doing what politicians have done for 200 years.

17. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Oh my gosh, the Democrats have feet of clay!!!
    Then again, Republicans are supposed to be the party of fiscal responsibility, the "grown-ups" as it were. I don't notice the party leadership complaining about the destruction of the balanced budget.

18. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Fine, but a Democrat myself its embaressing to put up with this crap. Don' think for a minute I don't belive the Republicans are any better, just I hold my own party to a higher standard.

19. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Unfortunately, the only standard all to many Democrats and Republicans hold to is that of getting elected. Just finished reading a article/interview about the Republican candidate for Attorney General here in Nebraska. Just a few years ago he was an ultra-liberal Democrat in favor of abortion rights and against the death penalty. Now he just happens to be an ultra-conservative Republican who is anti-abortion and pro-death penalty. Coincidentally this conversion appears to have taken place about the time he decided to pursue public office. I don't think I will be voting Republican in that particular race. Even if his values were not so contrary to what I believe, I really don't have much trust in someone who's values take such an abrupt turn in such a short time.

20. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Bogy,

By that standard, you should positively hate Al Gore! :p

-Lyle J.P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.