1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Need 2 dishes to get HD?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tjdean, Nov 5, 2012.

1. tjdean

tjdean New Member

Mar 31, 2004
    I'm thinking of switching back to Dish. When I had them a few years ago I needed 2 dishes on my roof since their HD satellite was in a different location. Would I still need 2 dishes? I'm in upstate NY.

2. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Doubtful. I had two when I left years ago...and now that I am back I have one.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You will need at least 61.5 and 72.7 for Eastern Arc you should be able to use just 1 dish. For Western Arc you need the satellites at 110/119 and 129 again you should be able to use 1 dish. It is possible with either arc you might have a location that is obstrucked and needs more than 1 dish

4. RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    This is something that would really need to be determined on site by a technician. We do have a 1000.4 EA DISH antenna that would allow you to pick up the proper orbital locations for all your programming including HD. The only exceptions to this would be if there was an obstruction blocking line of sight, or if you had international programming. A second dish would be required in order to receive the international channels off of the 118 orbital location.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    A better response depends on you providing at least a general location, such as "near Wichita Kansas". (example only).

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Use www.dishpointer.com and www.dishuser.org, there you'll find sats where are your channels locating, include LiL and international if there any.

7. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Would the location change much in this equation? I thought that people either had the EA or the WA and only had a split arc (i.e. 2 dishes) as a last resort if they couldn't get all of the satellites from their arc due to obstructions.

I guess if someone is in the WA and he had service before, at least they knows they can get at least two of the three satellites.

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Yes- it DOES matter - in my location, (Raleigh Durham NC market) - we can get HD from either Western Arc OR Eastern Arc (depending on line of sight). However - most locations aren't that fortunate - their HD is on EITHER Western Arc OR on Eastern Arc - not both - so yes - for HD it does matter. If you are just SD - then it doesn't, as all that is done from 110 / 119 .