1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Stop button for RC71?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MRM, Sep 30, 2013.

1. MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    Forgive me if this has been asked before. I did a few searches and couldn't find the answer for this.

We just got the new HR44 Genie last weekend. Still getting used to some of the changes on the remote. Is there supposed to be a stop button for DVR recordings? The only way I have seen to get out of a recording is by hitting the exit button.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    That is indeed a common complaint.
    There is no Stop Button. The Exit button is one way to stop the program.
    Pressing the guide button and changing to another channel will stop the program that is running also.
    Neither of these get the option screen that you are used to with the older remote.

The older remote can be used with your receiver but only in IR mode. The RF is totally different in the new remote.

3. Oct 2, 2013 #3 of 23
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, there is no STOP button. EXIT accomplishes (almost) the same thing. Also the PLAY and PAUSE was merged with the PAUSE button. lame

4. Oct 3, 2013 #4 of 23
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Or if you are ready to delete the recording when you stop it, you can fast forward to the end and the "Keep/Delete" will appear.

5. Oct 3, 2013 #5 of 23
    MRM

MRM AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    That's what I have been doing. Thanks.

6. Oct 3, 2013 #6 of 23
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Any logical person would think there would be a stop button but the geniuses at DirecTV forgot to put one on the RC71.

1 person likes this.
  7. Oct 3, 2013 #7 of 23
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    To get to the end really quickly,
    Press the FF button, then press the 30SLIP button just above it. It will jump to the next tick mark in the progress bar. Each press of the 30SLIP button will advance to the next mark.

8. Oct 3, 2013 #8 of 23
    sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    If you started watching the recording from the "List", and are not at the end of the recording and want to delete it: hit the back button (left arrow) which will take you back to the "List" with the show highlighted; push the red button to delete the program.

9. Oct 3, 2013 #9 of 23
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    That doesn't work if you've done anything since you started watching the recording. If you, for instance, bring up the guide while watching your recording then using back will just bring up the guide.

10. jackdinla

jackdinla Cool Member

Jun 3, 2008
    If you are still watching the show, press the "back" button and it will take you to the menu that includes "restart from beginning, keep, delete, etc" and you can delete the show.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Again, only if that's the last thing you just did. The "back" button takes you back to what you last did, not any specific menu.

12. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Interestingly, that's not always reliable. Sometimes the KOD never appears, and other times it takes a long time to appear, and still rare other times, I've seen the recording start from the beginning. That's on my c41 or hr44.

13. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Thats what I do as well.

14. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    I just don't use the RC71

But. . . It does have superior key response, great hand feel, easy to navigate by feel, plus empowers one to transfer from thumb to index finger operation without a thought. In this regard its a hot little thang. But the lack of discreet pause play keys . . .

Add to the fact the HR44 is a Home Media Center and adds PIP which should have direct key access by many accounts and the little bedroom/motel room remote seems a bit undersized for its intended purpose.

Still many will love it. As to lack of a stop key, Apple's iDevices set that standard along time back.

Don "the only winning move is not to play" Bolton

15. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I have to wonder if they don't get back feedback from the receivers about what keys people use and didn't go partially by that. I pretty much NEVER used the stop button and couldn't care less that its gone. I don't care that its gone, hasn't changed my viewing habits at all.

I am not saying I think this remote is perfect, but the lack of a stop button is the last thing I care about. Plus, I still think there's no reason they couldn't turn the red button into a stop key for recordings.

16. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Confussion

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    No confusion at all, red means stop. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Mentor

Nov 28, 2007
    Eastern Oregon
    I too miss the stop button. There are some "work around solutions" but they are not as good for me as a stop button. I have gone back to using my old univdersal remote in the IR mode.

1 person likes this.
  19. hish747

hish747 New Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Actually, I was going to say that Red button is clearly the record button...since that's what that has meant forever.

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I'm pretty sure the color Red meant stop long before it meant record. :)