1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

story of my install

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by gbakerc, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbakerc

gbakerc Mentor

May 15, 2007
    First of all, my installer was earl which was nice. I opened the door to see a grizzled old dude with a bunch of missing teeth and generally looked as though he had spent the night with his buddies Jim Beam and Jack Daniels. He was nice and very polite. He went to scout out my location. (We have no trees so it looked easy) He suggested sticking it on a pole 10 feet from the middle of my back yard. I asked are you kidding me? I said no. He then came up with a pole next to my deck and a pole next to my neighbors fence. I told him that I want it on the roof like the neighbors on both sides of me. He said that they don't like them doing roof installs. Wind etc... After 15 minutes of hemming and hawing, me agreeing to grease his palm to do so, he put it on the roof. It was a pretty simple install. 1 line to my great room on the same side as the dish. and 1 tie in to existing cable fot the cable upstairs. 4 1/2 hours later he was still trying to figure how to get the cable to my great room. I suggested he fish the wall and he said he didn't own a fish-tape. I finally told him to drill through the juction box and Run it behind the siding. I took the siding loose. ran the cable myself and put the siding back. then a defective 622 and 2 LNB's later. it was done. No instructions, no demonstration, nothing. Just out the door. I still have to fix cable housing on the outside of the house that he broke and I spent quite a bit of time figuring out how it all works. Total install time for a 2 line 2 box install. 5 hours 48 minutes. He was not a contractor but a dish employee. (way to go Dish) I like the service thus far. PQ almost identical to the Comcast I had. HD's look great and I am using an OTA for HD locals. Rocky start. I hope it improves.

2. 585960

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    So you put a dish on the roof because 'your neighbors' had one on theirs? Thats a good idea. I wonder which way water drips when it rains?

3. Wicker 54

Wicker 54 AllStar

May 7, 2006
    Whats so bad about having installed on the roof ? guess you had yours mounted on the front porch huh..

4. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    If he told me that he wanted a bribe to install it on the roof, I would have told him to leave and called E* to tell them about the situation.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Mounting on the roof will probably cause problems with in 5 years of the installation. Either leaks or reroofing causing a need for reinstallation. Roof mounts can be done and in some cases have to be done but there are many times better alternatives.:)

6. gbakerc

gbakerc Mentor

May 15, 2007
    I didn't put it on the roof because The neighbors had it there . I did it for asthetics and signal. I don't know of many people that would want a dish in the middle of their yard. The only place you could put it in the yard without causing a possible signal issue was 10 feet from the middle of my back yard. We cant have it visible from the street due to covenents in my neighborhood. With 2 big dogs that like to dig and the fact that it would limit what we could do in the back yard. I had one on the roof for 5 years on my old house without incident. My house is 3 years old so I am not expecting to have the same dish on their by the time the roof needs replacement. As far as which way water drips, it would roll the way the roof is pitched. He siliconed underneath the bolts and I am doing the same in the attic

Greg

7. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I've had my antennas mounted on my asphalt shingle roof for many years. I installed them myself and by insuring I tied into a roof joist and using some asphalt sealant around the lag bolt holes they have been 100% trouble free.

8. El-Roy

El-Roy New Member

May 27, 2007
    I haven't gotten my install. Still waiting on the person to show up.

9. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    My installer (the first one for SD) wanted to install my dish on my roof. I said no way! He installed it attached to my fascia in the rear corner of my house.

I *wanted* it on a pole in the backyard. However, we couldn't get a signal from that angle. :(

10. 585960

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    yeah, hiccup!!! front porch, heh heh............personally, you can mount all day on roofs, I prefer low to the ground, its a bit safer, right?:lol: :hurah: :eek2:

11. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    Unless you live in a designated Historical District, there is no such thing. Whatever covenants may be written is trumped by Federal Law. If such language does exists in your neighborhood covenants, its mere existence is illegal. :)

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

12. gbakerc

gbakerc Mentor

May 15, 2007
    I am quite sure you are correct that the covenants would hold up in court, but it is not worth an attorney. One of my neighbors had to re-roof his shed because the shades of shingles did not match. I am sure he could have fought it, but at a cost greater than the roof. The price you pay for living in a planned community.

Greg

13. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    So much for the argument that Dish installers are better than subcontractors. It's really a mixed bag. So you're just as liable to get bad apples from either side of the fence. :icon_cool

14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    As was said - if you don't live in a "Designated Historical District" - you can put that dish anywhere required to get reception - period. And you don't have to goto court to exercise your right. Simply printout the link in my signature, hand it to the board of your HOA, and tell them to get stuffed....

15. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    It's already installed. What's the point now ??

16. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    He had mentioned it, in his post, and I was commenting for others. Most who sign neighborhood covenants, do not know what their true rights are, nor do they know the burden rests on the association, and not the homeowner. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.