1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Off The Tuner Or Off The Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jibberyerkibber, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1 of 11
    jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber Legend

Mar 1, 2012
    When I am watching a picture on my TV that comes from my DVR's tuner, am I actually watching the picture straight from the tuner or am I seeing it as it comes a millisecond or so later off of what is buffering on my hard drive? The answer might help me determine if the new hard drive I put in my HR23 is causing a black screen for thirty seconds or so when I turn it on. Thanks!

2. Mar 4, 2013 #2 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    when you watching with delay - from a drive, life view - from a tuner
    there is common delay for unscrambling and processing to HDMI signals

3. Mar 4, 2013 #3 of 11
    jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber Legend

Mar 1, 2012
    The reason I suspect the new hard drive is the problem is that when the picture is still black after turning on the HR23, if I press the PLAY button to reveal the time status of the program at hand, it displays a time status and a program that have long been over, sometimes for many hours.

4. Mar 4, 2013 #4 of 11
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While "live" may not be from the hard drive, it seems to be picked off from just before the drive, as the DVRs have a longer delay than the receivers.
    I get sort of a kick out of it as I cycle my TV inputs and everything is on the same channel. OTA [of course] is ahead, then the receiver, and finally the DVR, and if I do it right, the same dialog repeats three times. :lol:

5. Mar 4, 2013 #5 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    just to get it straight - many other DVRs can work without a drive and non-DVR version using same main CPU

6. Mar 4, 2013 #6 of 11
    PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    Mine worked opposite the other day.. My sons H25 was about 1 second behind the Living room HR23.. The two are seperated by about 30 feet. :p

7. Mar 4, 2013 #7 of 11
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The only time I had something like this, it was because the "same channel", was really different as one was the SD and the other HD and came from different SATs.
    When they're the exact same, and both the same model DVR, I've still had a delay between them because of the different model TVs.

8. Mar 5, 2013 #8 of 11
    DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    It's interesting how many have posted that they are observing considerable delays between HD receivers and HD DVRS, even with different models of the same type, when tuned to the exact same channel.

I wonder what could be causing such a distinguishable lag between the signals. We have a mix of HD receivers and HD DVRs in our house (14 total) and all are pretty much in sync with one another, even with long cable runs.

The only way to know that there is a delay is from the echo that can be heard. However, when sound is muted from one TV, with the audio heard from another TV tuned to the same channel, all dialog appears to be in sync to the eye and ear.

9. Mar 5, 2013 #9 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    don't forget - the chain including not just Hxx or HRxx, but TV and AVR gear

each one has different setup in the part; to be consistent, you should use same TV to compare delay for different H/HR boxes

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    First you can't count the lag of the Genie clients, as they've got a lot of lag compared to the Genie.

When I had two HR20s, tuned to the same channel, if I stood between the two rooms, I could hear a difference.
    Since both DVRs were connected to two different TVs [Sony & Vizio] "I'm fairly sure" the group delay of each TV was different and what I was hearing. "I guess" this might be proved if both TVs had an antenna connection and were tuned to the same channel.

11. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    That makes sense.

I guess since 11 of the 14 TVs we have in the house are Sony, everything appears to be in sync. FWIW, though, the Sharps and Pioneer are in sync with the Sony TVs, as well.