1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange AT&T U-Verse Ad

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Sharkie_Fan, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I'm not sure where to put this, exactly....

I just was checking out Woot! to see what they had going on today. In the corner was an advertisement for AT&T U-Verse. It showed a video of a guy sitting in front of the TV, and some pop ups with a recording icon, showing all the things you could record.... the fight, the local gossip, blah, blah blah.

Then it goes on to say that with the new U-Verse products you can record 4 shows at once.

I took a snip of the ad.... look at the DVR under the TV. Doesn't that look alot like an HR21? DirecTV logo on the left side, resolution lights on the right, ring of annoyance in the middle! They've changed the lights to red, but sure looks like an HR21 to me!

I know this picture is horribly low res and hard to see, but, hopefully it's good enough....

Attached Files:

2. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    Does look kinda like it. The thing that strikes me is that whoever photoshopped it doesn't have a good handle on scale. It looks huge considering the perspective. I do like how they project the OSD outside of TV's image. Wish DirecTV could do that.

3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Yeah, looks like an episode of Photoshop Disasters to me too. :p

Kind of like how someone looked at metadata for one of Microsoft's "Im a PC and I'm a Sterotype" ads and discovered it'd been edited by the ad agency on a Mac. :lol:

4. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

yep, that looks hokey. It does not look anything like a Uverse DVR. I think they are trying to hoax customers

5. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    :lol: Link???

6. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    I agree... Looks like an HR to me too...

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, that's definitely an HR21, complete with DirecTV logo in the upper left.

8. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Information about U-Verse available here.

https://uverse1.att.com/un/launchAMSS.do

They are building out parts of Nashville now. It will be interesting to see if I can combine my DSL and POTS to qualify for the bundle prices. ;)

9. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Hell, I wish I could find it. It was from one of my Mac-centric RSS feeds a few weeks ago when the ad first ran. If I turn it up I'll let you know. Google may have it or a cache of the original article.

And the only way they could do it was to get the Legislature to amend the cable TV franchising statutes to allow a state-wide franchise so they don't get to be regulated by local municipalities like every other cable company has had to be for 40 years. :rolleyes:

10. NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
  11. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    No you won't. They are billed separately. If Uverse Voice is available you can do that.

12. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    A co-worker of mine told me her BF was getting U-verse and that he would be able to get "2000 channels".
    That number seemed a little hard to believe, but not knowing much about it, I didn't say anything back.
    Can anyone tell me how many channels are really offered (HD, too) and if it compares anything to D*.
    I also heard you HAD to get it as a bundle.
    Is that true?

13. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    You don't have the holographic projector hooked up yet? :lol:

14. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
  15. drded

drded Godfather

Aug 22, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    My mom has U-verse in Racine, WI and gets nowhere near 2000 channels. She has the U-family package which has about 50 channels, if I recall. Total channels offered was in the neighborhood of 150-200 and it was more expensive than my Directv subscription, but for my mom it works out.

She has the 4-event DVR and it looks nothing like the one pictured. It is about half the size in total, and remarkably quiet.

Dave

16. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    They're probably using DirecTV math... 100 networks + 1900 PPV.

17. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    that only comes on the HR2D2 model

18. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    *facepalm*

I LOL'd though.