1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Strange HDMI Sync issue HR34-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Chuck W, Nov 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    So the last month or so we have been having a strange HDMI sync issue with our HR34. We have our HR34 attached to an Onkyo 607 receiver.

We can watch TV with no issues but when we turn the Receiver off and leave the HR34 on and leave for an extended period of time(say several hours/ a day), when we turn everything back on, we get a black screen with no sound or anything. We have to continually turn the Onkyo On/Off or unplug/replug the HDMI cable in and it will display everything properly and we are fine. It seems the HR34 no longer syncing properly with the Onkyo.

I have changed HDMI cables, changed the HDMI port that the HR34 uses on the Onkyo receiver, but it doesn't change anything. We have ZERO issues with any of the other devices attached to the Onkyo. We have a PS3, XBox 360 and a PCH-A210 attached to it and everything is fine HDMI wise. This seems exclusive to the HR34 and the Onkyo.

What is weird is, this does NOT happen if after turning the receiver off, we turn it back on in a lesser time, say a half hour or less. It works fine. It's only when it has been off for an extended amount of time. I have Power Saving turned OFF on the HR34, but I'm not sure that prevents the screen saver from coming up after a long period of time. I am wondering if that switch to the screen saver mode is what is preventing a proper sync the next time the receiver is turned on.

Any ideas to try? I see there is new firmware that was just released(we are on 744 now) so maybe that will help things.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you bypass the AVR and hook up directly to the TV and do the same thing you do now that causes the problem you can help isolate which item is causing the problem.

3. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    If I was Steve Jobs I'd tell you to stop leaving he receiver powered on.

#)

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Steve Jobs would tell you to leave it ON, as he did not like "off" switches

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Regardless of what the late Steve Jobs might have said, what happens when you turn off the DVR concurrently with the AVR?

6. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    No matter what I have tried it continues to happen. I have tried is turning off the HR34, turning on the Onkyo and HR34 at different times. It seems turning the the HR34 on and off eventually gets it to sync.

What I am trying now is running the HR34 through an HDMI switch I have to the Onkyo just to see if that will allow it to sync more reliably(typically not the case but we shall see). I'll have to wait till later to see if it works and just turning everything off and immediately back on always works. I even went as far as to try the CE last night just to see(I'll keep comments on that to the CE forum).

I'll update later.

7. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    make sure your AVR has the most current firmware version. I had to do an Firmware update to my Yamaha AVR awhile back that displayed a similar issue.