1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange issue need advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Sackchamp56, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    Hey guys I have developed a strange issue and wonder if anyone has experienced a similar issue or knows what the problem might be.

I am getting a lot of searching for signal messages on the non high def channels on my HR-20 700. When I check the signal strength it is low on a lot of the transponders on the 101 sat (40s and 50s on about half some 0s and some 100s its really strange). Most of the really low ones seem to be on the odd transponders.

On the high def sats its in the mid 90s (103c and 99c) for all transponders.

I removed the BBCs and the 101 signals all go back to the mid 90s.

I had and extra pair of BBCs laying around new in box, so I put them on. the signal on the 101 goes backdown and i start losing signal again. The signals on 103 and 99 are still in the mid 90s with both sets of BBCs.

Any thoughts on this?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Double check your satellite setup and make sure the dish/LNB type is set correctly. Perhaps change it to something else (like round 18"), then change it back (5-LNB Slimline most likely).

If you have an SWM system, you should not be using the bbc's. I'm assuming you don't have SWM.

Oh, and the good old reliable "do a reset if you haven't already".

3. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    thanks I'll give all that a shot

4. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Did either of those things change anything? I'm having the same problem.

5. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Why does there seem to be several (maybe over 2 dozen or so at least) threads like this, with NO, repeat, NO, listing of the actual transponder signal strength number...????

'Yep, I got problems with my car, seems to not want to start; forget about me giving you a reading on either my gas gauge or battery charge, you figure it out without the most basic of information...!'

:confused:

6. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I started a thread about this here
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148462
    and I posted my numbers, and a good description of the issue as well. I probably should have put it in the installation section, but didn't, since I thought it was related to the latest software update. Anyway, take a look.......I'd appreciate any feedback, and I'm sure it would help others as well. Thanks!

7. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    I'll post some actual numbers when I get home from work (7am).

8. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    no they did not