1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange question maybe

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cyfman, Feb 26, 2012.

1. cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    When ever I'm watching TV with the lights off in the room and try to use either my Harmony or Directv remote they don't work:confused:

I can turn on the reading light beside my recliner and in a few seconds they work again.

They both work fine during the day(curtains open.etc)

Kind of a pain when watching a recorded show and want to skip the commercials,or even just wanting to pause the program.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.:)

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Try adjusting the brightness on your TV (LCD?) if its set on vivid or the equivalent, it's not the best setting to use.

3. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I have an LCD that was doing that. I had to reduce the backlight to get my Harmony remote to work, which seemed odd. I still occassionaly have an issue if the screen is black or very dark.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    It's almost certainly IR interference from the backlight system power supply on the TV, it's a very common problem (not just with DirecTV).
    Solutions:
    1. Adjust the setting on the backlight sensor until the problem goes way.
    2. Put a piece of blue painter's tape over the IR window on the DirecTV box. (It really does work!)
    3. The best solution - use RF to control the DirecTV box. You might already have an RF-capable remote, it will have an FCC sticker on the back if it is RF-capable. Otherwise order one from DirecTV, or one of the on-line retailers. Set up the DirecTv box and the remote for RF operation and the problem will be solved.

5. cyfman

cyfman AllStar

Nov 4, 2009
    Thanks for the tips so far,I lowered the backlite some so I may need to play with it some more later if my current settings don't fix it.

6. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    What is unclear with your situation is how long this has been going on and whether or not it started with some change in your environment. Did you just change some of your lighting? Some florescent fixtures may cause issues with IR controls. (I certainly have that problem with a light in our RV; it totally cuts out the Sony IR TV control). If, on the other hand, it has always been a problem then issues described above are probably your issue.