1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Streaming sports?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by omartinjordan, Mar 25, 2013.

1. omartinjordan

omartinjordan AllStar

Mar 25, 2013
    I have been reading some of the other threads about the rising cost of TV in general. I could probably live without directv if I could somehow figure out how to stream sports. By that I mean, ESPN etc. Does anyone know if this is possible? My internet provider blocks espn3 because I don't subscribe to time warner tv packages. Everything else I watch I could use Hulu or some other means. It's the sports that keep me hanging on.

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Disney is tying the rights to ESPN3 and their other watch product to the renewal period. So DirecTV won't be able to get it until the contract is up for renewal.

You can also try switching ISPs. I don't know if it's available in your area, but unlike Time Warner, Verizon allows internet only subscribers to get ESPN3's content. I think AT&T does too.

3. omartinjordan

omartinjordan AllStar

Mar 25, 2013
    I am limited on internet. AT&t is available but not high speed. I am just getting tired of the high bill from directv. I am going to drop to the lowest package I guess. Doesn't look like I have very many options.

4. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Buy a Roku box & a subscription to your favoriate sport for fifty bucks a season.....

5. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Would that include, for example, all 10 EPL matches on a weekend?

6. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002

That's WatchESPN. ESPN3 is available to whoever has a decent internet connection. Sometime WatchESPN and ESPN3 carry the same game.

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Huh? Espn still says you need an affiliated provider for espn3.

8. Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z Godfather

Jul 30, 2007
    Sports is the biggest reason I am not likely to completely cut the cord anytime soon (I've made a few hacks at it in the meantime). For example my wife and I watch:

Purdue football and men's basketball - Big 10 Network
    Twins baseball - Fox Sports North
    Bears football - anyway we can it without Sunday Ticket (living in Vikings country we do get a fair number of Bears games on Sundays).

The 1st two are only available to cable/satellite subscribers if you want to see them live. The 3rd can sometimes be seen live OTA.

So - if you must have your sports, cut back to 1 receiver or DVR and go Roku elsewhere.

9. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    You need a participating ISP or cable provider to get ESPN3 content. If you subscribe to one of them you can access it any place you have a decent connection by logging into your account. If the connection you are on is a residential one supplied by one of the participating ISPs, you don't need to log in unless you want to watch the streams of ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. The largest exception is Time Warner who requires a video subscription to get the ESPN3 content that every other participating ISP makes available to internet only subscribers.

Disney is only making it available during contract renewals so DirecTV won't be able to get it until the contract is up for renewal.

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    It would be nice if the providers would offer an all sports only package.

11. donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005 Legend

Feb 13, 2012
    The price on something like that would be almost $200 a month minimum.
    Take EI CI ST Soccer NBA NCAA cricket and ppv.

12. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Rogers has the super sports pack that gives you every out-of-market game.

13. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Not sure - checkout their website for channel info.

14. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    WatchESPN is only available to customers with video subscriptions from a given provider. ESPN3 is tied only to having an account with an ISP, which means that if you want to stream ESPN and ESPN2, you must have a video account.

So far, it has meant that you needed a video account AND get your internet service from your video provider. I've been hoping that ESPN would open up WatchESPN to DirecTV (that is, if DirecTV is even interested) but since DirecTV is not an ISP, they would have to modify how they normally handle it.

15. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Can ISPs legally block certain websites from their customers?

16. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Well, it's not that they're technically blocking the website. Anyone can navigate to espn3.com, but only authorized users can access all of the content. This is not unlike Netflix or Hulu, except that in those cases you're subscribing directly to the content. With ESPN3/WatchESPN you're dependent on your provider having subscribed to the content for you.

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Right. The ISP is not blocking anything. ESPN is doing the authentication. If you are not a customer of someone who pays for the content for you, you don't get in.

In the case of Time Warner. If you have Time Warner *and* Fios in your house, for example, you can use Time Warner internet to access all the ESPN3 content via your Fios credentials.