1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming to TV from Computer via HDMI output

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by KCCardsfan, Aug 15, 2009.

1. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    I would like feedback from users who have laptop computers and are streaming 'HD quality' content using HDMI out to their TV.
    What I'm thinking of doing is streaming from Netflix and MLB.com. I am in the market for a new laptop and noticed many now have HDMI out. I've also looked into a ROKU box and have read good positive feedback, at present the ROKU streams @ 720P which is fine with me.
    So if anyone is currently streaming content from their laptop using HDMI please let me know your experience with it.

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You can use the HDMI output to deliver content to an external monitor. You won't be streaming anything though. You are simply delivering the picture that would be on your laptops screen to a external monitor. If it works on your computer, you can see it on the screen.

3. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Some HDTV's have a VGA input on them. If not, if your computer has a DVI output, you can get a DVI-to-HDMI adapter (about $4 at monoprice.com). Either way, you'll be using the TV as a big monitor. It works great.

4. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    OK, now that I've been corrected on the way I worded this (always someone out there to do this), is anybody 'watching' content on their TV from a laptop via HDMI?

5. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    Thanks. Currently using the VGA from my old laptop, and yes it just looks like a big monitor. I'd like to know users feedback on HDMI and if the 'HD quality' is actually HD quality.

6. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Subject to the capability of your video card, yes it will be HD.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Sure. I have an HP DV9000-series with a Blu-Ray player and HDMI output. I often play Blu-Rays with it on people's HDTVs that don't own (and usually have never seen) a Blu-Ray player. Works great, looks fantastic. Essentially the TV is just a huge monitor for the computer. I have a long HDMI cable and a female-to-female coupler, so I can sit on the couch and use the TV's screen as a monitor too.

8. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I've seen posts at AVSforum that not all laptops output audio over the HDMI connection, so you'll have to test that.

As others have noted, hooking your TV up to your laptop via HDMI really only gives you a second "monitor" and assuming there are no restrictions in your streaming software, you will be able to drag your streaming player from your laptop screen to the TV and watch
    it full-screen there.