1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Streets of San Francisco pilot episode (1972)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by AntAltMike, Feb 21, 2014.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    ...with "star maker" Karl Malden getting top billing, and with newcomer Michael Douglas listed below Robert Wagner in the opening credits, will air tonight at 8:00 Eastern on MeTV.

Poor RIchard Hatch never appreciated what it could mean to a career to be paired with an "old school" actor who believed it was his job to make the other actors look good.

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    They also ran the pilot for Five-0 not too long ago with different actors playing Danny and Jonathon Kaye and Lew Ayres playing the Governor.

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I actually saw the original pilot for The Bold Ones: The Lawyers series, "The Sound of Anger", first run back in 1968. Guy Stockwell played the role of law firm partner Brad Darrell, but that character was replaced in the second pilot, "The Whole World is Watching", by Brian Darrell, played by Joseph Campenella, and Hal Holbrook, who went on to star in The Bold Ones: The Senator, was a university chancellor in that second pilot. The relationship between Ives and the other two lawyers was very contentious in the first pilot, whereas the three lawyers had a more cordial relationships with one another in the second one.

Spoiler alert: Actually, not really a spoiler alert because the Bold Ones pilots are not presently scheduled for anywhere.

In the first pilot, Burl Ives does an absolutely unreal job of getting the jury to ignore the overwhelming evidence and to acquit his guilty client of blowing up a small private plane. But the kicker at the end of the episode, as I remember it, was that right after the trial, it was discovered that there had been a second passenger on the plane, so there would be another murder trial...

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Karl Malden was a fine actor whose real name was Mladen George Sekulovich. Throughout his career he cleverly found ways to say "Sekulovich" in films and television shows in which he appeared. He also had one of the longest lasting marriages in Hollywood (more than 70 years) with his wife Mona. I can think of no better role model for someone contemplating a acting career.

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Never knew that. Now I have to find one of his old movie to check it out.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Ones I know of: Patton......Dead Ringer......Fear Strikes Out......Bird Man of Alcatraz......On the Waterfront......Streets of San Francisco.

7. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    On The Waterfront march 1st 12:00p on TCM.

8. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I can never remember if Chin Ho played Kam Fong, or if Kam Fong played Chin Ho. But then, I imagine that there are Hawaiians who can't remember if Jack Lord played Steve McGarrett or if Steve McGarrett played Jack Lord.

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    All four of them were pretty wooden. As are the current inhabitants of those and all the other 5-0 roles. An errant spark could cause a tragic flash fire.

BTW, On The Waterfront :righton: