1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Stretch or Don't Stretch

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by gully_foyle, Sep 30, 2007.

What should "HD" stations do with 4:3 content?

1. Stretch it sideways. I hate black bars.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Zoom it and crop the top and bottom.

53 vote(s)
    76.8%
  3. Leave it be. I'll do the adjusting myself.

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The A&E HD stations stretch all 4:3 content, distorting the image. Other HD stations zoom 4:3 content, losing the top and bottom but not distorting. Still others add black bars or border art to the sides to preserve the original 4:3 image on a 16:9 TV.

I think most HD viewers dislike cropping and distortion, but what do I know, let's poll!

Edit: pgfitzgerald has a thread going discussing his off-site page with all the channel-by-channel details

NOTE: In the above poll, "Leave it be" should be understood to be the same as pillarboxing (like ESPN). The 4:3 picture is complete and undistorted.

2. bret4

bret4 DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 22, 2006
    I stretch my SD stations and just got used to it. Voted to stretch it. My TV will not let me stretch HD programs that have black bars on the sides so I can't adjust it myself.

3. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I rather adjust it myself

4. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    If the networks employed some sort of "smart stretch" in HD, I could live with that. Or a "smart crop/zoom", like HDNet did with "Hogan's Heroes". Otherwise, I'd rather record the 4:3 SD and let my display handle the "smart" stretching. /steve

5. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    Nothing more frustrating that a picture that has been stretched or zoomed and I can't do anything to get a better image. Leave it alone and let me decide how to handle it.

6. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    If your TV can't stretch content, you might consider that a sign that few want it that way. If it's that important to you, shop better next time. But don't make the other 90% watch intentionally mangled television.

7. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Stretch me baby

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Wish I could vote twice--- leave it alone!

9. bret4

Nov 22, 2006
    Your really funny. Your right to your opinion as much as I am right to my opinion.

My TV will stretch a SD program to fill the screen. What I'd like to ask is do other HD TV's stretch an HD picture that is being shown in 4:3 to fill the screen. Just wondering because my Sharp aquos 37" will not do that. It is what it is if it is on an HD channel for my TV.

As far as shopping smarter, that is not a nice remark. I put a lot of time in shopping for my TV and enjoy it a lot. I bet you did a lot of research on the TV you watch and enjoy yours too. What you buy one day is obsolete in no time these days.

10. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    My opinion is that stretching 4:3 to 16:9 is distorting the picture. Ooops, that's the definition of "distortion", so I guess it isn't an opinion.

What would be an opinion is what looks better. And I'm prepared to accept that a small minority likes the distorted image better. But I think that you should distort it in the privacy of your own home. It's unnatural. :)

11. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    Stretch-O-Vision is hideous.

12. Gotchaa

Gotchaa Legend

Jan 25, 2006
    kcmurphy88, thanks for the poll. Not sure how this info is getting back to the networks. Since you started this excellent poll, can you get a list of the channels that are stretching in your first post and we'll all contribute contact info so we can start emailing or calling these networks to complain directly as well.

13. pgfitzgerald

pgfitzgerald Godfather

Nov 29, 2005
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=102048

Paul

14. Gotchaa

Gotchaa Legend

Jan 25, 2006
  15. NewsMag

NewsMag New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Happily my Sony SXRD has a mode that will compress stretch-o-vision back to 4:3.

I voted don't send me a modified picture. I have the toys to make it how I want it!

16. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    If I wanted to watch a program stretched I'd go to the SD channel. Don't make the "premium" channel no better than the "regular" channel.

17. bret4

Nov 22, 2006
    Maybe I like it stretched because my eyes are not as good as they used to be.

Lets hope we get more true HD programs to watch and not a bunch of old SD shows dumped on our HD TV's. There is nothing like the real thing.

18. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I would just vote 3 times:lol:

19. Lefky

Lefky AllStar

Jun 22, 2007
    I have turned several of my friends (who have no electronic knowledge and do not care to learn) on to DirecTV and HDTV. They mostly switched because their current TV broke and they hated Comcast. Everyone of them hates the black bars. They will watch the SD channel over the HD channel with black bars. I came to the conclusion that the normal TV viewer likes stretch over the black bars. Most people who take the time to learn and spend time on forums does not like stretch. I think stretch will eventually win.

20. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Newsmag, which specific model and how do you go back to 4:3. I never saw a way on my 50 inch sxrd set. If I could, I would.