1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strobe Lights on School Buses

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Mar 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    One elected official in NJ wants to put strobe lights on school buses. Lots of callers on NJ 101.5 are calling in and are against the lights for a variety of reasons. What do you think? Do you have trouble seeing a vehicle painted a rather hideous color and the size of...well, a bus? Any of your states have a law such as this? Here's a link to the story.

Rich

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    A single white strobe on top of the bus makes it much more visible in low light periods like dawn and dusk. It also helps in hilly terrain. You can see the strobe long before you see the bus.

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I get that. I'm kinda neutral on this. Some people that suffer from things like epilepsy and migraines have called in and argued that the lights might trigger seizures. Another caller said one of the Carolinas had a law requiring strobe lights on buses, but repealed the law because of an obvious rise in accidents attributed to the strobe lights.

You have to remember this is happening in NJ where any politician is capable of doing anything to get his name in the papers. Anything controversial is the best.

Rich

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    They've had them here in FL for years. The lights make the bus easier to see and identify as a school bus early in the morning, in fog or rain. They are just an additional reminder that you need to watch the bus in case the yellow/red lights come on and to watch for kids in the area of the bus. I think they work.

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    To add to my last post, this link will show you how ridiculous some of the laws in Jersey are.

Rich

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

Remember, police, fire, medical, towing and highway department vehicles have had strobes for decades. Most now are switching to LEDs which also have rapid flash rates.

The ones on school busses are not rapid flash. They flash once or twice per second.

I've also seen slow flash rate clear strobes built into red lights at intersections that flash only when the traffic light is red.

I didn't realize the states had a choice in this. I thought it was mandated by USDOT.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    All our school buses have strobes on top. Normally they arent a bother unless you are stuck behind one getting strobed for 20 miles.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's what a woman with migraines was talking about.

A bus driver called in and said a lot of the buses have the strobe lights on them already, but they don't use them. More puzzlement.

Rich

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    They use them here in VA. I've also seen the traffic lights with the strobe built into the red light.

As for dumb laws, I think all states have their share of that. VA has a Curse and Abuse law that you cannot use profanity in public, too. They also have a Fornication Law, which makes it a Class 4 Misdemeanor (the lowest) to fornicate with someone other than your spouse. I'd like to see that one enforced.

- Merg

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You said a caller stated that one of the Carolinas had the strobes and then removed them. Both of the Carolinas still mandate strobe lights on their schools buses (although in NC it is only for buses manufactured after 1998).

Looking at Google, it seems many states have these lights; some only turn them on when the conditions warrant (dark/fog/rain, etc).

11. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    A single white strobe is on the back of all our buses and is operational regardless of weather anytime the bus is turned on.
    As a matter of fact, I have a strobe on my LSV (required by state of GA). I have heard quite a few people complain about it on the path system here but I have also had a few people who were thankful I did have it as it made my vehicle much more visible in the tunnels and areas where the trees were extra thick.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There are plenty of laws that are old and outdated, but no one bothers to take off the books, but are rarely to never enforced. Of course some of the lists of dumb laws are likely inaccurate, or worded at a slant. There is one commonly listed that it is illegal to hunt whales on a Sunday in Ohio. I doubt that is actually on the books, but there very well could be a law that by definition could include whales, like catching a marine animal over 10 pounds is illegal on Sundays.

The ones you give I'm sure are real and I've actually heard of the second one enforced. Supposedly some states have felonies.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just quoting someone who called in.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They still have that fornication law on the books? When I was home ported in Norfolk, we had to be very careful of motels and hotels. I think the law was more stringent back then.

Rich

15. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    All of the school buses down here have the strobes, Rich.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Personally, I think if someone doesn't notice a big yellow bus with a stop sign and flashing lights sticking out the left side when at a stop, the strobes won't help much.

17. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    The strobe just helps alert you that something is out there when you can not see it due to a curve or hill, etc..
    I know from my own experience with our LSV that they really do make a difference. I have had more than one person tell me that it was the strobe bouncing off the tree's that caught their eyes when they were not able to see the vehicle itself.

Personally, I think school buses should have cell phone jammers on them as well. Get these idiots who text and drive off their phones and just maybe they could see the bus.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Another example of the three NJs. One caller did say that some/most? buses already have strobe lights on them.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That was pretty much the consensus on the radio. The main problem with school buses seems to be people passing them without having enough room to do it safely.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'll go a bit farther, I think all cars ought to have jammers in them to prevent cell phone use. I have OnStar in my car and I find even that terribly distracting.

Rich