1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck With DTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mobouser, Nov 10, 2010.

1. mobouser

mobouser AllStar

May 23, 2007
    First Off, Anyone offended by this header I apologize. I am just updating my latest with DTV. I had problems with my HR22-100 unit which could not be resolved to my satisfaction (replacement only). I was leaving DTV (after 12 years) and going to the "dreaded cable". Had it all set up but would-int ya guess it Retention talked me out of it. First off they are replacing the 22-100 and I got the Premier service + the sports pk for 5 months for 55 a month. I also got 200 credit usable now for the TIVO coming out in the Spring this all with no commitment so I guess I'll stick around a little longer.

2. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    So what's the point of this thread?

3. mobouser

mobouser AllStar

May 23, 2007
    To add to the dialogue. all information is important to someone. Maybe just not u

4. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    DTV is digital tv.
    D* is DIRECTV.

Yes we know DTV is the stock symbol but the abbreviation used is D*.

5. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    The abbreviation police have arrived

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Since there has been absolutely no official word on when a new DirecTIVO will be available, I wouldn't bet on that estimate and even when it does happen, no one knows what features the new DirecTIVO will have (speculation is that it will be built on the HR22 platform) but it's all anyone's guess at this time.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'm glad that you got an offer from DirecTV that was acceptable to you.

8. mobouser

mobouser AllStar

May 23, 2007
    I goofed not here much so its D* instead of DTV and so "BGYGM". That's "by gosh ya got me" if anyone is interested. Seriously things have changed in this TV era back when i joined D* digital was a big deal now all the carriers are pushing it with HD and so it comes down to the deal ya make. The future will probably be something like TIVO for OTA and broadband for your cable TV. The series 4 system will do some of that now.

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I originally took your thread title the wrong way.

I'm glad you're "sticking" with DirecTV. :)

10. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    Ditto. I took the title as "I am stuck with D*" and then reading the post was lthinking "Wow, seems like they got a good deal, how are they stuck?".

Also glad to hear it worked out for you. :D

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    The future is here. I've been doing this for about a year with a HTPC. No cable/sat bill here. ;)

By the way, you should take that $200 now because the new Tivo unit may never come out, then you just lost your $200. Plus they often "lose" things like that in the notes. Just what I would do anyway.

12. TwoPhases

TwoPhases Legend

Jul 20, 2010
    $200 credit? Cool. I'll call to fake-cancel asap.

13. Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519 AllStar

Oct 15, 2010
    what is HTPC I don't have a clue

14. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    Home Theater PC

15. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yea, Home Theater PC.

I had a thread a few months back about it when I dropped DirecTV (which was mostly because I was laid off, not because I was mad at DirecTV or anything). But "cutting the cord" was something I've been thinking of for a while.

But anyway, a HTPC basically replaces your cable/sat receiver, Bluray/DVD player and streaming box (Roku, etc.) all in one box.
    You can DVR OTA HD and cable TV via cable cards free with built in Windows Media Center (or you can opt for other software), you do need to buy a tuner card though.
    Can stream everything from Netflix, Hulu, Boxee and anything else.
    And of course since it's a PC you can watch HD shows directly off network web sites like TNT, CBS and more.

Only thing missing for us is some live sports, but I still get those, even if the commercials are in Russian or German. ;)

So now instead of $80+ a month (plus Sunday Ticket) I pay Netflix $11 a month...which I was paying before anyway.

It's not for everyone and if you have a lot of TVs it may be hard to do without some coin, but it's certainly doable and it gets easier as the months pass by. My HTPC already more then paid for the cost of building it by now with the monthly savings and it's all gravy now.