1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Studio shake-up reflects changing Hollywood

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Oct 11, 2009.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.ph...1c3df7f1a800b200f.5b1&show_article=1&catnum=1

2. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    So the format they thought for sure would kill Hollywood is now so important that they fire studio heads over. Nice!

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here's where technology should be coming in to play. The studios should begin offering older film downloads and streaming new dvd releases directly from their own sites or through some highly profitable arrangements with others. That plastic disc is already outdated except for HD which requires too much bandwidth.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    However, that clashes with the ISPs wanting to cap & throttle bandwidth.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm waiting for the ISP's to simply say to the providers of bandwidth-demanding-streams "the charge is going to be." For some reason, people seem to fear having the "post offices" (the ISP's) collect postage from the shipper (the dvd store or the URL selling). I haven't figured out why I have to pay more for sending basically text emails so that I can buy an occasional movie or TV show episode. The "selling" url should have to pay for and charge me for the "electronic disk."

6. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Isn't the problem more that the economy tanked in 2008 and people were being more discretionary with their spending, cutting out unnecessary items such as DVDs?

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    For me, it's about price. Why are some shows (like "Parker Lewis") priced around $40.00 season or more and others at $10.00? I got two full seasons of "Lois & Clark" the other day for $10.00 each and watch Amazon weekly for what they put on sale for $15 or so.

8. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    No, what I fear is the ISP getting a monopoly in an area and while their prices for bandwidth go down (and they have been), they'll hike their margins like crazy claiming that they need it to handle new services. A complete crock and a bold-faced blatant lie. Then, companies like Comcast lie through their teeth about how they stack up against FiOS while complaining at the same time that they can't handle video streamers (while FiOS basically says 'no problem')

9. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I am sure it is, but somehow Hollywood in blind to most real trends these days. They assume that it is not possible that people buy less music because there are so many other things to do and most music is crap compared to 25 years ago.

I am sure they just assumed that people would just keep buying DVDs in spite of any economic downturn. Heck they probably assuemd that sales would go up because people would stop going to movies or something.

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    The plastic discs are very cheap.