1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Question: Why did waiting become a spinning circle?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mark Holtz, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I know that I'm asking something that is totally irrelevant, but since I've hung around computers for ages, I thought I would ask.

For years and years, since the advent of the Graphic User Interface on the personal computer in 1984, the icon for "waiting for something" was usually a hourglass, although sometimes a clock was used. Nowadays, it's either a spinning pinwheel (Mac) or a circle (Windows 7). When did the memo came out to change this icon, and what was the reasoning behind it?

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Change for the sake of change.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I suppose it's an indication of a higher state of technology. :whatdidid

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know the reasoning, but the Mac OS "beachball" started with OS X, if I recall. That would put it in 2000. Maybe just something to occupy you while you're waiting.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Adding to that, perhaps those icons copyrighted - I do not see that original Apple's palm with folding fingers anymore ...

6. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
  7. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    It is just to show the user that the computer is doing "Something" and not hung up while it is doing processing.

8. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    The spinning circle has become rather common. I don't know about other DVR's, but TiVo uses the spinning circle on their HD units to indicate waiting.
    Remember 'way back, when software used repeating periods as an indicator?

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    In theory ... I saw and pretty sure many others too, when the hang up happened the wheel or other progress indicator still changing.