1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Stupid question - why is my HD DVR making noise when I push Select

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by schlar01, Aug 3, 2011.

1. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    I'm sure there is some obvious reason for it but I just got an HD DVR last week and now when I press Select to tune to a specific channel it gives me the 'dunn' type of sound. Its not a beep, but the deeper pitch feedback. I've never had this on any of my other receivers.

I could just reset the receiver but I'm recording something.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Menu > Parental, Fav's & Setup > System Setup > Audio > Sound effects

3. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Thanks, I figured it was a dumb question.

The weird thing is that I've been using it since last Saturday and it wasn't happening. Then I used it tonight and it started. Threw me off as to why it would start now.

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It only makes that sound if you push a button out of context, sort of like Windows makes a little sound for each keystroke if you are trying to type but have not yet clicked in a field that accepts keyboard input. Play back a show and press FF 3 times, no sound. Press it a 4th time and it is trying to tell you that there are only 3 FF speeds, by making that sound. Its one of many legacy Tivo ripoffs, err... (ahem!) tributes.

It's being polite rather than yelling at you that you can't do that. Maybe they should change the sound to the sound of someone clearing their throat.