1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sub channels on DirecTV

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by xmguy, May 5, 2012.

1. May 5, 2012 #1 of 10
    xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I've had DirecTV for years. But a issue caused me to have to leave for a bit. So I went to Charter. I noticed that Charter carries the local sub-channels that DirecTV doesn't offer. I always wondered why they dont offer the sub channels. Is it lack of bandwidth? Or maybe they are not popular? Wondered if anyone that has DirecTV gets their local sub channels? Thanks

2. May 5, 2012 #2 of 10
    funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    Savannah mmetro here. Never watched a sub channel in my life, DTV doesn't carry them.

3. May 5, 2012 #3 of 10
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    To get your local sub-channels, you need to use an OTA setup with satellite. Providing all the locals in each DMA is tough enough, providing all the subchannels would be 10x harder on bandwidth. Plus the fact that 70% is niche crap and not considered very popular channels as you suspected. Your local cable company only needs bandwidth for your locals, a national provider needs bandwidth for everyone's locals.

4. May 5, 2012 #4 of 10
    yall2

yall2 Mentor

Dec 5, 2010
    I use over the air antenna for sub and all local channels. I think the quality is better than DTV gives them anyway. One good thing is that the Guide does give them and I can record them on my H24 or H20 DVRs.

5. May 6, 2012 #5 of 10
    xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I'm 75 miles from the local source. So OTA is out of the picture. I guess you all are right. Its niche material. Since each area of the cable co is locally provided then the channels can be different for each area. But D* has a unified national feed for everyone. I get it now thanks.

6. Yes616

Yes616 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    75 miles is not out of the question unless you are down in a valley. I am picking up OTA locals at 75 miles out using the AM-21. The sub-channels are not so niche either. I am having a good old time with MeTV and Antenna TV.

7. N9QZD

N9QZD Cool Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I cannot receive one of my local sub channels (MeTV) with the AM21. I was told it's because directv did not have an agreement with the program provider. I thought that was dumb.

8. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    When I talked to the D* engineering dept 2 years ago about subchannels, I was told that D* planned to add no new subchannels to their Guide data that the OTA [ATSC] tuners (like the AM21) uses. In other words, we are out of luck. We can only view these subchannels on the TV's own ATSC tuner.

9. N9QZD

N9QZD Cool Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I'm thinking about a Tivo unit with my antenna and transition away from pay tv altogether. Honestly, I have more programming than I can watch.

10. ke3ju

ke3ju Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    Stroudsburg,...
    I'm only 40 miles as the crow flies from my locals. I spent over $500 on the Best Anntenna, and Equipment to no avail. It's all about hieght above average terrain. If you ain't got it, you ain't gonna get it. At our house in FL, I am the same distance from the locals down there, but can pull them in 100% with Rabbit Ears.