1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Substituting Anniversary Gift??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ronsanjim, Feb 12, 2010.

1. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Has anyone had any success in substituting their 2010 Mega March Madness anniversary gift for something else?

I am not a basketball fan, and would like to "exchange" it for anything else.

Oh, and by the way, 3 weeks after a place holder for $0.00 posted on my online account summary, which caused me to call and request this "future" charge be removed:eek2:, D* finally acknowledged they were "awarding" me this gift, via my online account. They also said they had sent me postcard, which I haven't received yet.

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I called and got Showtime free for 3 months. It wasn't really a "substitute", as the gift I received stayed. I think free Showtime is something they can offer whenever needed.

3. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    as you said, other programming available, but it is not a substitute. Anniversary gifts cannot be changed one for another

4. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    They can be changed, I just did it about a week or so back. I don't watch sports so I e-mailed and thanked D* for the gift and asked about a substitution. Within 5 minutes they e-mailed back and offered Starz for 3 months. I posted about it the day it happened.

5. quizzer

quizzer Icon

Aug 29, 2006
    Do you call any special number for doing this?

6. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    I did my "switch" via e-mail to D* and as I mentioned, they replied within 5 minutes. I admit, usually they are not that quick. Their goal I think is within 24 hours for a response but I lucked out.

7. willis3

willis3 Godfather

Feb 2, 2007
    I emailed them, got answer in 15 minutes. Anniversary gifts can't be changed...

8. Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    They did change it for me.

2 month ago, I had game lounge, I was not interested, called and asked if I could have something else instead, they gave me Showtime for 3 month.

9. oakwcj

oakwcj Lower Echelon

Sep 28, 2006
    My "gift" was three months of Game Lounge. I sent an email thanking them for the gift, but saying that I had absolutely no interest in playing games on my TV. I didn't ask for anything, but I got a response giving me three months of Showtime instead.

10. hyde76

hyde76 Legend

Nov 26, 2007
    They changed out 3 months of the sports pack for me with a 3 month $5 bill credit. That worked for me.

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    My guess is that, like me, everyone that had their gift "changed" didn't really have anything changed. DIRECTV just gave something else free "in addition" that they have available for customer service. My guess is if you called in to complain about anything you could have gotten exactly what you received as a "replacement". I also would be willing to bet that you still had you gift available for the duration.

12. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    As the OP, thanks for your responses. The March Madness package ($69) is quite a nice "gift", and one shouldn't refuse any gifts:nono2:, but it would be completely wasted with my viewing habits.

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    same here, love how they automatically assume everyone likes sports.

14. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    i just got mine....ten dollars off my bill for 6 months. i shan't complain.

15. tinmanohio

tinmanohio Cool Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Two years in a row, Showtime for 3 months. Also notified weeks after it started. Have suggested, but not asked for a choice in gifts. Showtime does seem to be an easy freebie as well as $5 for three months. I have received these as consolation for trouble with service. Now $10 for six months is a real gift!!! How much do you have to spend a month to get that?

Bill

16. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    We received "free" game lounge for three months? 30 days? Can't remember, as the postcard that announced said "gift" arrived well after the first month had passed and isn't something I would care to ever look at anyway.

If I wasn't already so disgusted at DirecTV for a host of reasons I might have bothered to call and complain but I didn't have a half hour out of my day to argue with clueless CSRs.

17. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    I phone in to "exchange" the March Madness $69 free gift for the Sports Pak. At least the Sports Pak has pre-season baseball for my viewing interest. The CSR checked and said there are no "free" Sports Pak offers right now. But he did offer me $5.00 off that premium for 6 months, so I took it. I may even watch a little March Madness :sure:.

18. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    Maybe not for you. The wording, "substitution or replacement" is irrelevant. I know what I received and maybe I still do have the sports crap but i don't even know where to find it.