1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion - D* drop the animation for performance

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by btmoore, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 4, 2006 #1 of 38
    btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    D*

All the animation in the menus and guides are cute, but they get old quick and I would prefer responsiveness. All that animation takes cycles both CPU and mine, I would prefer crisp fast responsive menus and guides. Perhaps you guys can add a configuration option to turn the animation off and optimize the UI for performance?

Thanks

2. Nov 4, 2006 #2 of 38
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I wouldn't mind seeing this as an option either, especially if it could speed things up more.

3. Nov 4, 2006 #3 of 38
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    :D
    This would be a good wishlist item... Kind of how you can run Windows XP in "adjust for best performance" mode.

Excellent idea! The box is pretty responsive but would only improve with an option to run the GUI without all the cute effects.

4. Nov 4, 2006 #4 of 38
    bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Animation? I don't recall any animation in the menus. Graphics, but no animation.

5. Nov 4, 2006 #5 of 38
    mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    That's what I was thinking. What the heck are you guys talking about :confused:

6. Nov 4, 2006 #6 of 38
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    The scrolling animations in the guide and other list views.

7. Nov 4, 2006 #7 of 38
    btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    In a GUI when you do things like scroll the guide rather refresh the screen or that subsection of the screen with the new data, it is an Animation. For example, right now when you page down on the guide, you have to wait until the top item moves all the way down to the bottom. It would be crisper and more responsive is they just wrote the new data the the screen. Why do you care to watch the guide data you are no longer interested in move down the screen, you are only interested in the new guide data you are requesting, time and CPU cycles are wasted by animating that on the screen. Even if it CPU impact was minimal, it would still be a faster user experience because you would not have to watch the data scroll. The same is true for all the menus in the HR20, but the guide is what need the crispness.

8. Nov 4, 2006 #8 of 38
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    First thing I turn off on XP! I hate it, its slower, and anoying

9. Nov 4, 2006 #9 of 38
    btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    exactly! It is cute for about 2 minutes and then all menu animation need to die. :D

Think of all the time that went into that when they could of been working on stability and QA.

Very confused priorities over at D*.

10. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Thank you very much!

11. bcowan12

bcowan12 Cool Member

Oct 4, 2006
    That would definitely help. My SD TiVo on a 20" TV in the bedroom is such a good experience to use. The HR20 on a 50" plasma seems to have a clunky interface that has too few items in the listings on that big screen, and then does that scrolling crap so it takes even longer to find what you're after.

12. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    Now I understand and I agree. If they can't speed up the scrolling, then get rid of it or at least make it an option.

13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    The animation is a visual cue to the user so that you can see where you're going. My H20 takes just as long to page through the guide as my HR20, and there is no animation on the H20.

14. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Yes it is a visual cue but IMO not a very good one.

My sat-t60 is much much faster in the guide compared to the hr20.

Regardless of what you compared it to, the guide should be much faster than it is.

15. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It should be faster, yes. But I like the animation, and don't want to see it go.

16. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Great, that why I said in my original post suggested that is was an option that could be turned off.

Are you against an option to turn it off or on? Not that D* cares what anyone thinks.

17. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Of course not, but after seeing their responses to requests for more options, DirecTV is adament about not providing any.

18. Starrbuck

Starrbuck Legend

Jun 25, 2004
    DFW, TX
    Exactly. Without the animation, you might be left wondering if you went up or down in the channel listing. There is no doubt with the animation on.

19. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    If I remember correctly the t-60 displays a little arrow pointing up or down.

Out side of that, you pushed the up or down button, if you can't remember that you may have serious short term memory issues. The guide is numbered in ascending order too, so you would know if you are going up or down. Did I mention that you pressed the up or down button, oh and the guide is numbered in ascending order.

20. eengert

eengert Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    I can't figure out what difference it would make or why I might wonder whether I scrolled up or down. Besides, you can tell by the channel numbers. Either way, it should be an option so that each user can choose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.