1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sundance Channel HD! (Available)

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Food Lion Man, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Food Lion Man

Food Lion Man Mentor

Dec 13, 2007
    Outside of...
    Since Sundance Channel is part of the AMC Networks, I am really surprised it hasn't been added in HD. I contacted customer service at Dish and they said there's no plans to add this channel in high definition. I realize it should be very soon but still wonder what the delay is. Has anyone heard anything?:)

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Some people thought it might be about a month behind the others so hopefully another few weeks. You should also note that csr's are usually the last Dish personnel to get info about anything coming up. Asking them does not get much if any info on anything coming up.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There was an HD feed uplinked at the same time as the others in the last month... but unlike the other feeds, Sundance HD has not gone live. It is not clear if they are testing, having trouble getting a feed, or what.

But basically, until the channel actually goes live... don't expect a CSR to actually know because corporate rarely gives future info like that to the front line.

4. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    You can bet we will know before a CSR unless it's a CSR here.

5. BigDoritto

BigDoritto New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm aware that the Sundance Channel has a still "Hidden" HD version of the channel that was uplinked in January of this year for "testing"...

Also, an "official" specific edit to the Sundance Wikipedia page added "HD" to the channel availability listing for Dish Network (United States) to read "Channel 358 (SD/HD)". [See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundance_Channel_(United_States)]

As of today it's been over a month since the uplink of all the AMC HD channels but, the Sundance HD channel is still is unavailable.

Does anyone have any update and/or intelligent speculation for when Dish will make the HD version of the channel available/live and/or why the delay?

Still Waiting--now impatiently... :(

6. bluegras

bluegras Godfather

Jan 31, 2008
    yea what is going on with The Sundance Channel in HD on Dish Network

Thanks

Bluegras

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Testing since January 3rd ... perhaps some day it will be on. Perhaps it will disappear like the 2012 test of Smithsonian (on 2/8, off 7/11 and not made available).

8. bluegras

bluegras Godfather

Jan 31, 2008
    which one will be added next Sundance HD or Universal DeportesHD what do you think?

9. Mar 5, 2013 #9 of 19
    joyandjerry

joyandjerry AllStar

Jul 3, 2012
    I would imagine any channel would be welcomed by the subscriber in HD. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but why do some providers offer some stations in SD that others have in HD? Is it a expense issue? Is anything actually preferred by the consumer in SD?

Incidentally, Sundance started showing Breaking Bad from the beginning. Although the subject matter did not appeal to us, the ctritcal/audience response is so overwhelmingly positive we are going to try it. IMO it would be better in HD, although my husband insists that he does not notice the difference between SD, HD, Bu-rays and VHS, as he is just paying attention to the content of the program! :grin:

10. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    Your husband sounds like me. I notice the difference but it doesn't bother me to watch SD. I have 10 years of WMV captures that are 320x240 and I don't mind watching them. Funny thing is, most of what I've captured is available on Netflix so the saved programs aren't much use.

11. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    In the case of most providers, they probably don't have retransmission consent from the network as sd and HD contracts may be separate. This is part of the problem leading to the Disney/ESPN lawsuit.

12. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    He sounds like me, I watch something for the content, Not HD vs SD.

I do notice the difference for a short while and then I do not even think about it.

For me Content is King.

Cheers
    TB

13. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I agree with the one major exception for me. Sports are very difficult to watch in SD.

14. rebelman

rebelman New Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Sundance HD channel uplinked again today?? I thought it was uplinked back
    in January. Never saw them take it down. What is going on? Are we ever
    going to see this channel go live???

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It was still there from January. The uplinks Wedneday were additional copies of the channel.

I read that as a good thing. Perhaps they are closer to "available".

16. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Sundance is live in HD!!!

17. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Not listed yet on DishEverywhere site?

18. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You expect miracles?

19. crabtrp

crabtrp Legend

Sep 23, 2006
    I think that is it, I have all the HD I want.