1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunday Night football = terrible vs ESPNHD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pattcap, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 6, 2006 #1 of 18
    pattcap

pattcap AllStar

Sep 24, 2006
    I have noticed this before, but watching Monday night Countdown made it obvious.

Sunday watching NFL on FOX = Awesome picture quality. The Falcons stunk up the joint, but the picture was great.
    CBS, second game = Almost as good as FOX.

Then comes NBC, Sunday Night Football. It is flat out low quality HD, lots of breakout in the background, and motion stinks.

The details.
    Atlanta, Channel 11 NBC.
    HR20 set to 720p (stretch) on a Samsung 40" LCD (720p) TV, Via HDMI.

Since ESPN and FOX, and most of the HD channels look good,
    it has to be NBC and or my local here in Atlanta.

I am sure this has been discussed at length, but anything to help me understand what the deal is would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Pattcap

2. Nov 6, 2006 #2 of 18
    Twosted

Twosted Godfather

Sep 18, 2006
    The big difference is Fox and ESPN broadcast in 720p. NBC broadcasts in 1080i.

3. Nov 6, 2006 #3 of 18
    admiral39

admiral39 Legend

Nov 6, 2006
    I think it's NBC. I noticed this too from my OTA NBC feed. They must be dumbing down the signal as it's inferior to all other HD sources I receive as well.

4. Nov 6, 2006 #4 of 18
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I agree NBC OTA is the poorest of my OTA HD picture quality.

Since this comment is coming from more than one market, that would lead one to think its not a really great feed.

5. Nov 6, 2006 #5 of 18
    Cobra

Cobra Icon

Aug 9, 2006
    nbc is bad for me also, whether its ota or dtv locals, espns quality is not that great either, the field looks pixilated, its that way on both my tvs, one has the h20 100, and the other hr700

6. Nov 6, 2006 #6 of 18
    Gmaxx

Gmaxx Legend

Sep 25, 2006
    NBC should really be embarassed by the quality of the feed they are supplying. ESPN's game tonight is hands down better. I just found myself oogling at the picture quality while last night I was interested in the game but disappointed with the PQ.

7. Nov 6, 2006 #7 of 18
    bluedogok

bluedogok Godfather

Sep 8, 2006
    Why would they be embarrassed, after all their CEO doesn't think HD is important: NBC's Zucker: "Who Needs HDTV?"

The NBC station here is a Lin TV station, so I only get HD from them OTA, but I did notice the picture quality a little lacking compared to others on OTA and that is with my TV set at 1080i.

8. Nov 6, 2006 #8 of 18
    shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Agreed that the NBC Sunday Night game looked pretty bad - pixelation during fast motion was the main problem for me. But CBS in my market (Birmingham) is worse. Though it doesn't happen all the time, about half of the time I tune to CBS HD it looks like there's a kind of film over the screen; I know that's not the best description, but it just looks grainy.

9. Nov 6, 2006 #9 of 18
    pattcap

pattcap AllStar

Sep 24, 2006
    I hear what you are seeing regarding CBS.

Bottom line, ESPN and FOX do HD football best. CBS is a strong second,

But NBC is stupid bad....
    Bad PQ = less desire to watch = lower ratings = less $$$$
    But then again, NBC has been dying a slow death ever since they lost Friends and Seinfeld LOL

I guess this comes down to the whole, which is better, 720p or 1080i
    The vote is in, when it comes to football, in the real world, 720p wins hands down.

Thanks for listening
    Pattcap

10. jergolfer

jergolfer New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Hi, This is so weird to read this because with my system getting the LA feed Fox has by far the worst HD for football with CBS being the best. ABC and NBC would be the same only slightly worse than CBS. But like I said Fox is so much worse that my wife even says something when I go back and forth to different games. Very interesting.

Jeremy

11. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Yeah, that's pretty much what it comes down to. On the CBS and NBC games, 1080i looks amazing during closeups between plays and the blimp shots of the stadiums, but during the action, I see lots of pixelation and macroblocking as compared to the 720p broadcasts on Fox and ESPN HD.

However, to be fair, I've seen noticeable improvement in the CBS HD feed for their SEC games over the past three Saturdays. Last week's Tennessee-LSU game looked much better than the Tennessee-Alabama game for instance. Maybe it's my local doing a better job or maybe CBS itself improved the feed, but it was a lot better here this past weekend than two weeks ago.

12. fvmojoman

fvmojoman Cool Member

Nov 2, 2006
    LameLefty..I agree. I'm in the Nashville market and the CBS college broadcast has improved over the past couple of weeks.

13. yamaham

yamaham AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    For me, ESPN and FOX are tops, NBC is acceptable but obviously second-rate, and CBS is abysmal. Here in Florida the Miami Dolphins home games aren't broadcast in HD at all, but the away games are - make sense? But the kicker is that CBS doesn't provide a local HD feed via DirecTV here! I'm not a huge Dolphins fan, but it seems like it is the only NFL game on in a given week that isn't in HD...and I'm a little over an hour from the stadium. That's just plain silly. I can't get the CBSE feed because I'm not in the Miami area.

14. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Get sunday ticket with superfan and u get most games in HD even those junky dolfins games :D

15. dpfaunts

dpfaunts Godfather

Oct 17, 2006

Probably not :nono2: CBS only does 3 games a week in HD. The Dolphins are AFC so stuck with CBS for most of their games. I did start to see Sunday Ticket commercials for ~$175 you get the last 8 weeks of SUnday ticket and free superfan. BTW, nice win by those Fins this weekend!

16. Avery

Avery Cool Member

Oct 23, 2006
    NBC is very grainy here in Indiana but still better than SD. As far as the others Fox is my best via OTA but last year ABC couldn't be beat when Monday night football aired. This year ESPN is ok but for me but its still pixilated on my Sony CRT rear projection 46in via HDMI.

17. kevincmccallum

kevincmccallum Cool Member

Sep 15, 2006
    ===>>"Bottom line, ESPN and FOX do HD football best. CBS is a strong second"
    ===>> "But NBC is stupid bad...."

Agreed. Same in SF Bay Area. And it's not just the NBC Sunday Night Football games that look lesser in comparison.......it's also the weekly Notre Dame games on NBC as well. They consistenly look dimmer and rougher than the SEC games on CBS and the Pac-10/Big-10 games on ABC that are broadcast at the same time.

But for some reason the local home 49'ers games on Fox are NEVER broadcast in HD (although most of their road games are!). Not that I'm terribly disappointed since the Niners are so rotten, but still......what's the deal with that?!?

18. Greenbay4

Greenbay4 Mentor

Oct 10, 2006
    I agree. Channel 11 NBC hear in Atlanta is so bad, sometimes I have to go watch football in SD on my old 27" RCA.:nono2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.