1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sunday Ticket App Local Game

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Hdhead, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Currently the app won't let me watch my local Packers game because it is broadcast locally I guess. If I go out of town will the app recognize that and let me watch the game?

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I believe if you get far enough away to a place where the Green Bay game is not on a local channel, then yes it will become available to the app. I believe it goes by the IP address or cell tower that your phone/tablet is connected through.

3. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    This is most ridiculous part of Sunday Ticket Max. As a Colts fan in NC, I expected to receive ALL Colts games on my phone, should I not be home, taking the dog out to play, etc. To be sure, I asked the CSR if I would be able to watch ALL the Sunday Colts games. She said, "Yes because the Colts are not your local team." That was last season, and the few games I tried to watch on my phone worked perfectly. This seaon, I have been gone a few times and tried to watch part of a Colts game. It told me I was blacked out. Turns out a local TV channel was airing the game. That is absolutely ridiculous. Until this is fixed, this will be my last season with ST Max as it is a complete rip off. Look at the those 4:30 games that nearly everyone gets, that means nearly everybody can't watch it on their phone, which we have PAID to do.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Shouldn't you folks be blaming the NFL. DirecTV does not set the rules

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I will blame all parties if I pay to watch OUT OF MARKET NFL games and are denied what I paid for because of another example of local channel greed.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I will blame all parties if I pay to watch OUT OF MARKET NFL games and are denied what I paid for because of another example of local channel greed.
    not sure how you can blame DirecTV when they are told by the NFL what to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    But Out of Market is basically defined as a game that is not locally available. Since the Colts are locally available, you can't watch them via ST.

Same applies with other sports packages too.

8. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    It has always been like this. Local games arr blacked out as you can watch them via OTA.

Its the nfl with these rules. For those with NFL mobile on there phones I believe same rule applies if you are at a NFL stadium. U get a blacked out message.

It happend to me when I went to gb @ CAR game a few years back. I was trying to watch other games during halftime and got blackout message on both apps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using DBSTalk mobile app

9. Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    So the consenus is that when I travel to Florida from Wisconsin I will be able to watch the Packers games on the mobile app. Right?

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes. Unless the Packers are playing in FL and you're in that market.

11. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    U can view the maps @ www.the506.com/nflmaps
    This way u can see which games are local at the city you are traveling to. The maps are updated every Wed.

12. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Actually, it hasn't always been like this. Up until the early 2000s (I think), all games were available in the clear on NFL Sunday Ticket (unless there was a no sellout blackout). Games that aired on your local CBS/FOX were still available on NFL ST.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    It changed around the time they added full HD (just before that), so late 2000s? They first did it in just a couple markets (Seattle was one of them?) for a year then it went nationwide.

Red Zone is available everywhere, though, so you can watch there and keep up with important plays while mobile.

14. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Yes. I was in Florida last week and was able to watch the Jets/Steelers game via the mobile app. That game would have been blacked out if I had been home.

As others have pointed out, if the Packers game happens to be on local broadcast TV, in the area of Florida in which you are in at the time, the game will still be blacked out.