1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunday Ticket Blackouts 2008

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bonscott87, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Sep 7, 2008 #1 of 41
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    This is always confusing to people so here are the facts.

Any game on your local is supposed to be blacked out on Sunday Ticket.

SD games are always blacked out.
    HD games are sometimes blacked out (in the past).

To note that in my market this year it appears that HD games on both CBS and Fox are blacked out on Sunday Ticket (last year it was just Fox for me). So they may be enforcing more HD blackouts this year.

2. Sep 7, 2008 #2 of 41
    zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    No HD games (with the exception of when the stadium didn't sell out) were blacked out for me last year. This year it looks like HD games are subject to the same BS blackout rules as SD. If the game is on your local affiliate, it will be blacked out.

3. Sep 7, 2008 #3 of 41
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Titans have sold out every season since they moved to Nashville and have a multi-year waiting list, so on the (rare) occasions I want to watch a Titans game, it's never an issue. :)

4. Sep 7, 2008 #4 of 41
    zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    ok....no one was asking about selling games out....but....ok.

5. Sep 7, 2008 #5 of 41
    LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Blackout have a great deal to do with sellouts in a local market, in case you didn't realize it.

6. Sep 7, 2008 #6 of 41
    zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Ummm...yeah I am very aware of that being from Jacksonville. Re-read this thread, it has nothing to do with "sell outs." In previous years, HD broadcast of ALL NFL Sunday Ticket games were available whether the local affiliate was airing them or not with the exception of IF A GAME WAS BLACKED OUT DUE TO NON SELLOUT (so in my case, when the Jaguars would be on CBS in Jax, the SD version on ST was blacked out, but the HD was available). Not so anymore, they are now apparently blacking out the HD feeds of games shown on local affiliates as well.

This thread had nothing to do with blackouts of games because they dont sell out, it has to do with now blackouts of the HD versions of games broadcast on local affiliates.

7. Sep 7, 2008 #7 of 41
    LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...

Um, read the first post of the thread again. :lol:

8. Sep 7, 2008 #8 of 41
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I am not experiencing any blackouts. All games are good for HD and SD.

9. Sep 7, 2008 #9 of 41
    briang5000

briang5000 DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Last year if a game was carried by my local affiliate (in Cleveland) I could still watch the SuperFan HD feed without getting the blackout message.

I would get the blackout message on the standard NFLST channel, but not on the HD channel.

This year it appears that the system know which games are being broadcast locally and the receiver won't let me tune to the Superfan channel.

This isn't really a big deal unless the guide is wrong. Twice in the last few years CBS changed the game my local affiliate was getting late in the week and the guide didn't reflect this. The guide said I was getting game A. I was actually getting game B. If that scenario happens this year I might not be able to see a game without calling DirecTV.

Another more common problem last year was with 4pm games. If the guide says I'm getting a game locally on my affiliate I can't watch the SuperFan channel. What happens if the 1pm game hasn't ended? Often the 4pm games are joined in progress after the 1pm game ends. In the past I could watch the beginning of the 4pm game on the SuperFan channel. I won't be able to do that this year.

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes you are right. The game on CBS and Fox here locally are blacked out for me on Sunday Ticket. No big deal, however, you won't get the special features on your local channels.

11. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Yea, missing the interactive features and player tracker is the only thing I don't like about being forced to watch my locals.

12. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I am not having any games blacked out in my area in SD or HD. I checked them now and all are working.

13. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    You know, I wonder how hard it would be for D* to send those interactive features out over the LIL's CBS and Fox feeds via satellite? Of course, if you're OTA only, then you wouldn't get them.

14. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    The smaller market you are in the greater chance of it not being blacked out, especially the HD feeds. You might be the only person in the country with the SD feeds not blacked out. :D

15. vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007
    Last year I never got blacked out on HD feeds. In Dallas and KC markets. KC game was not blacked out and Dallas game is. New, but not a big deal.

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Guess I am just lucky. No games SD or HD are blacked out today.

17. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    No big deal for me. The 2 games that are blacked out for me I can get them in HD from my local CBS and FOX. I'm watching the Dallas game right now in HD from my local FOX station and it's got a great picture.

18. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    It is a big deal to me as D* does not offer my locals to me via SD or HD and I dont qualify for DNS as of yet but I am working on that.

19. R8ders2K

R8ders2K Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    Okay, I'm confused. :confused:

I kept the TV in my bedroom and the Supercast on the Red Zone Channel for the morning games and up until approx. 3:06 PM Pacific when the Red Zone Channel stopped.

I then went to the GameMix, but it was NOT in HD. :bang

So after watching the GameMix in SD (widescreen 480i), I decided to watch the San Diego - Carolina game in HD, but there was no HD game, not even a message, just SD only.

Now, I did get a waiver for East and West Coast SD feeds from when I first got D* service, and lost the HD waiver when the law changed. Could this be the reason why...?

I'm in the So. Bay Area and the San Diego game was not on locally, only the Whiners', er... Niners' game was on FOX.

According to this, here's the distribution of FOX's late games. So, I understand D* blacking out the Whiners', er... Niners' game, but why the San Diego game in HD? After all, isn't that why we subscribe to the NFL Sunday Ticket, to watch out of market games...?

20. jhollan2

jhollan2 Godfather

Aug 31, 2006
    It was really a pain in the arse today because the local CBS HD broadcast was pretty crappy. The difference was clear at the end of the game when you could see if being broadcast on a ST channel. Plus... no player tracker or other alerts. I dont like it!