1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Sunday's NASCAR Race - Unavailable in Albany

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by LakeSteve, May 30, 2013.

1. LakeSteve

LakeSteve Mentor

Aug 26, 2012
    My local FOX affiliate (WXXA) airs a telethon this weekend annually. They move the NASCAR race to their digital side channel, which DirecTV does not carry. Am I completely out of luck, or can I call them and request one of the east/west feeds turned on for me temporarily?

If hotpass were still available, I would't be complaining. And no, I'm not going to hook up a dtv receiver just to pick it up.

Any input appreciated, especially from the CSR's.

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    You are out of luck as they will not grant temp DNS.

3. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Let me tell you how the race will go. Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution... Caution...

4. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    You forgot left turn left turn left turn left turn left turn left turn left turn left turn :grin:

5. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last race(Coca-Cola 600) the last one of the season on Fox?? I believe they switch to Espn and/or Speed............

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Nascar moves to TNT, ABC and ESPN starting after this race at Dover.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/schedule

8. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Have you tried an OTA antenna to pick up the sub channels? You would think major national events would take the first spot on local channels but the affiliates can do what they please(for the most part). I believe NBC has the presidential debates on prior to the recent election(?) and there were several markets where the affiliates decided they would rather show re-runs of their old shows instead. They received some unpleasant phone calls from their local viewers.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you are not far from the broadcast station can't you pick it up with a small indoor antenna and the digital tuner in your TV ?
    I live 35 miles from the station and I can get a broadcast easily on most of the stations except it is difficult to get the ABC and CBS channels.
    If I had a tiny bit better indoor antenna I could get them also.

10. LakeSteve

LakeSteve Mentor

Aug 26, 2012
    I said in my post that I would not be buying a DTV antenna. It's a 4 hour race, so that would be rediculous. I planned on having a bunch of neighbors over here for beers and the race, so that sucks. Moving the party to one of their houses instead.. Thanks for the leaderboard links. I follow a few people on twitter that give constant race updates as to what is going on. It's helpful if I'm out running errands and want to know what's going on.

11. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    There's no such thing as a DTV antenna, it's just a marketing gimmick for antennas that are usually UHF only and have poor performance when it comes to the VHF band. Since WXXA uses VHF to broadcast many of those "DTV antennas" won't even work. If you still have an old pair of rabbit ears it would work better depending on where you are in relation to the station and if there's no major obstructions like mountains.

Even if you don't use it that much, having a backup antenna is a good resource in cases of emergencies. Like snow buildup on the dish during heavy wet snow, and like many of us in the northeast, unless there's no buildings or trees to the southwest, our dishes are usually higher up on the roof and not in a place that's easy to brush it off. It's also a quick way to get programming right away in the event of the lights blinking during a storm while the receiver reboots (especially when it comes to live sports). It can also be a way to watch additional programming if your DVR's tuners are tied up for recordings.

Just a warning though so you won't be surprised when you get to your friends house, since they moved the race to a subchannel it will not be available in HD or have surround sound.

12. LakeSteve

LakeSteve Mentor

Aug 26, 2012
    Good point. I don't watch much local TV though. I'm usually watching cable networks. It turns out the telethon was not on, so I'm able to watch my left turns at home.