1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Bowl in HD

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by -, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Guest

Does anyone know if the Super Bowl will be broadcast in HD this year?

2. Guest

FOX has announced that this year Superbowl will NOT be in HD, but they did announce that it will be in WIDESCREEN format.

Scott

3. Guest

Nope - Fox is doing the superbowl, and Fox doesn't broadcast anything in HD. It will, however be broadcast in 16x9 480p. Of course, you have to be in one of the few markets where your local Fox affiliate actually passes the 16x9 480p Fox feed. Even though Denver's affiliate is owned and operated by Fox, we don't get the real feed. We get a soft fuzzy upconverted 14x9 feed of the ntsc Fox feed. No, I'm not bitter at all...grrrr...at least I have CBS and ABC to watch in glorious HD!

4. Guest

Dang Scott, you beat me to it. I just scoured the press releases and basically FOX will be broadcasting the superbowl in 480P Widescreen which is NOT HDTV.

Too bad. Would have been a great opportunity for FOX to jump start their commintment to true HD.

5. Guest

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the responses, anyway. No Super Bowl in HD and the Olympics in only delayed HD. Why even bother...